iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Now that is a thinking man's thinking.  smiley_headscratch  Saw logs for a saw bones.  smiley_idea 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

If he asks you to saw on shares go for it.  :D :D

I saw for a cardiologist occasionally next time I'll ask him if I can double my bill and he submit it to his insurance.  :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

:o  I hadn't even thought about the insurance/paying part.  I had better take PatD with me 'cause $he control$ da money$$.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Hope all is well with you MM.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Crossroads

Praying for a clean bill of health MM
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

Hope all goes well at the Dr's for you MM
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

My road trip customer called this evening firming up our plans for next week's sawing.  He said that there were over 100 logs, 60-70 of which were 20' and the cut list will again be timbers with many 12X12's.  Sounds like it may be a couple of weeks.

The forecast shows a low of 17° with not much above freezing and with two days of possible snow.  Yikes, cause I don't even own a pair of long johns but I have insulated jeans and Carhartt overalls, 800 gram Thinsulate boots, plus I am OK with vests, coat, hat, and gloves.

Now if the Cardiologist releases me, I should be ready to travel and saw.   :snowball:

terrifictimbersllc

Might be time for some long johns, I'd have them on in that kind of weather, which is at the cold end of milling for me up here in CT. Surprised to hear you're going out in that.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Shotgun

Hope your cardiologist releases you, Lynn.  There comes a time that you need to be careful with your heart. You'll recall that I'm speaking from experience.  Most of us think that we're invincible, but some of us find that we aren't in that category.  Sending prayers that you are.

N & M
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

Thanks Norm.  To be quite honest, I actually think that I am afraid to slow down.  (And I ain't believing that I just wrote that.)  I am sitting here trying to decide whether to click the Post button.  OK, here goes ....  

Crossroads

500 mile road trip is all planned and scheduled. Have Monday through Thursday scheduled starting in my home town for 2 days then start migrating back in the direction of Idaho stopping on Wednesday and Thursday at the last 2 jobs. Then today I got a call from a guy who wants to have 2 days worth of milling done back at point A. Looks like I'll be making another trip in the near future. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Oliver05262

Good luck to you, Magicman. Harriett and I hope all goes well with you concerning your heart. 
I've been down that road; almost six years ago. May need some more work someday, but I haven't let it slow me down. Just got to listen to the cardiologist and follow the exercise routine as best as I can. I don't listen to any talk of limitations, though--at least, not all of it.
  My mother used to say "if you rest, you rust".

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

doc henderson

As busy as you are, I'll bet (and hope) everything will turn out fine.  best Wishes
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Darrel

I have no intentions of slowing down. That being said, I found myself walking like an old man out there.  There's frozen packed snow out there in my yard and it ain't anywhere near level.  It's the same stuff that knocked me down and busted me up on New Years Eve and I have a healthy respect for it. But I had to get across it so I chose my steps carefully. 

My point?  Last year I walked and ran all over these hill sides without a worry. Sure, I fell a few times, but so what!  But not this year. My doctor said nothing over ten pounds. My extension ladder is less then ten pounds, haha.  I leaned it up against the house and up I went. Now I hurt. But I can't slow down. 

Enough rambeling.  Lynn, I'm starting to understand. Take care of yourself and do a better job of listening to the doctor than I'm doing. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I have never been to a Cardiologist before nor been told that I needed to see one.  I have done much reading since Monday so I can assure everyone that I will listen and obey.  I don't have a problem with exercise, but there is a lack of aerobic exercise, especially during July and August and also during the Winter months.  :-\

Right now I just gotta wait until Monday so see what da man says about the plaque in my LAD.

Darrel

Well if you've got the plaque in the LAD, da man will probably at the very least give you a medication with a generic name ending with "statin". 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Sixacresand

Lynn,  I can only imagine that your milling trip will be successful.  You know your limits.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer was Ted from Danvers, MA. Ted works for a company that was putting in new water mains in the north end of Boston. While digging the trench they found an old "wooden" water main from the late 1600's. He saved a few pieces and wanted them cut into "cookies".
But I told them with the water main hole in the middle we'd have to call them donuts. Thanks Ted

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

That is neat Jim.  You reminded me of a couple of pictures that my grandson sent me.  He is a Civil Engineer and recently came across these sections of old wooden water mains:

It was put together like barrel staves, but I have no idea what was used for bands.

doc henderson

cookies or donuts both sound good.  how long is current water pipe rated for 50 years? that is amazing
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

olcowhand

Jim & Lynn,
Great stuff from our history. I bet that Water Pipe from the 1600s had nice tight rings and was well preserved. How do we think they bored the holes? How long were the sections of pipe? I'm a sucker for historical references, and I found these replies very interesting.
Thanks for including, and Lynn- I never get tired of reading this post; even though I'm not a real sawyer....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

OffGrid973

Finally got the cedar and walnut logs that were frozen to the ground all milled up today...one monster required an nice 3 sided sculpting with the chainsaw to get started...always amazed how big a log you can actually get around with the LT-10...thanks again Woodmizer for making a great product for the hobby sawyer.

Did have to change the blade and decided to stick with the 4 degree as Brad mentioned...also using a long level I was able to see if any wavyness happened due to logs being too cold.  Just went real slow and mad sure the engine ran full tilt, and got through everything.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

Looks like you had a very productive day.  8)

Magicman

Quote from: Crossroads on January 25, 2019, 08:59:12 PM500 mile road trip is all planned and scheduled.
I wish you safe travels and productive sawing.  thumbs-up

terrifictimbersllc

Safe travels Crossroads.💰🌈

Thank You Sponsors!