iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wooden sink

Started by Thehardway, April 05, 2012, 12:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jueston

that looks wonderful

lately i have been pondering making a wooden bathtub, and i was thinking of finishing it the same way as you, with layers and layers of epoxy, i know there are examples of wooden bathtubs online, but not a lot of info on how they are made, it seems like the system you used would hold up to the test of time, the only thing that i am unsure of, is the possibility of the wooden vessel being filled with nearly boiling water from the tap on a cold night when the wood was pretty cold, do you think the fast heating and cooling will cause cracks in the epoxy due to the wood movement?

i am unsure, but a local college actually has a degree in wood finishing, and i was going to write to a teacher there and ask what he thought. but i have not gotten around to that yet.

shinnlinger

I had a buddy in San Fran who used to use a CNC machine to cut out plywood so that the cuts would fall inside each other and make sinks, much like the bandsawed collapsible apple bowls.  He then expoxied the surface.  If you think about it, Sinks are rarely submerged for very long.  I have lost touch with him, but may use this as an excuse to track him down

I like Melchers sink and the laminate build is a slick way to do it.  If you had a big block of wood, a Lancelot chain grinder could be up for it but my neighbor makes log planters with a chainsaw.  He plunge cuts the four sides of the "bowl" but then makes another plunge cut from the back to cut the bottom and clean out the waste wood and create a drainage hole.    In a sink scenario I wonder if that back slice could indeed be the drain.

neat idea!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

samandothers

Welcome to the forum!   Very nice looking job.   Neat approach.  Do keep the post going with your progress and finish work. 

Builder-Bob

Greetings to all...this is my first post to this great site.  I have been lurking here a bit and have learned alot, thanks for info.

I did a google search for wooden sinks and many links pop up. Here are some images I found...these may give you some ideas of possibilities. You can check out the links and find some info on finishes.

Active links to off site pictures are not allowed

Bob
Measure once, cut twice, if it doesn't fit cut it again.

Jay C. White Cloud

Thanks, builder-Bob  ;)  Google image searches are GREAT!!!
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

samandothers

Bob
Welcome to the forum!  Neat images of the wooden sinks.  The wooden tub is pretty neat too.

scully

I saw a lot of talk about resin epoxy etc. I didn't see it mentioned about resin w/glass laid over the wetted surface. I am referring to the same technique as wood-strip canoe builders use. The books I have explain that different weights of fiberglass mat can be used, I.E. heavy mat for the hull bottom, lite mat for the sides etc. that when sealed with the outer layer of epoxy resin the wood grain will show. So in effect you would actually have a resin sink that you could see your carved wood grain! I love the idea of trying this on a sink! I think I would get some K.D> 8 1/4 and build it then contour the inside after gluing  up the rough shape. Heck you may even be able to use layers and steam bend them. No matter what I bet this is totally doable!
I bleed orange  .

Mad Professor

I saw a traditional structure in Levertt Ma that had a spring running into the house through a stone trough. 

Yes a spring.

The water ran back out the opposite wall.

The house was unheated for many years and no worse for the wear.

I suspect it was for keeping milk cool in the summer, but sure was nice to have fresh and drinkable water always there.  The outlet, I surmise could have been for doing dishes and led to a nearby brook.

Another Leverett 1700s house I lived in had a spring that entered the the basement on one side, pooled in a small cistren (also stone), and exited the downhill side of the house.  The water never came up in the yard outside, but the water always flowed.

Maybe some builders had a better site selection process than we do now.

I.e free potable water built in.  ;D

Back to the subject why not stone over wood?

P.S. the wood sink is beautiful , nice work!!!

Stephen1

Welcome to forum for those that are new here.
I have been working on my kitchen and bath in my cabin and have not been fussy on my choices of sinks and such. And here on the FF my thoughts are answered, a wooden sink. I'm not sure of the shape just yet, but I definitly see one coming..
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!