iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big and Rocky

Started by Magicman, August 31, 2009, 09:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

He said 28" on the little end.  What he didn't say was that it was 48"  on the "butt swells".  Well I gnawed it off and started sawing.  Squared the cant up and about 6" into the log, I heard that sound and the blade "dived".  On the top side of the only limb (knot) was a rock!  You just never know what you will find besides lumber in a log.... :(

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pasbuild

I found a RR spike in a white pine that I cut up the other day, it was to deep for the metal detector to pick it up,  that razor tip blade I won at the pig roast is now toast :(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Magicman

Another shot of the 48 incher on the mill  with a solid 38" whiteoak in "waiting".

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Toolman

I found a chain inside a hickory log one time. That destroyed my blade. The log was about 30", but somebody wrapped a chain around tree when it was about 14". diameter. Customer bought me a new blade that day.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Dan_Shade

hmm...  with hickory, how did you tell you hit the chain?   :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don K

That looks like a wateroak on the mill. Everybody usually thinks of that as a firewood tree but they have some good looking wood in them and I have seen some good QS come from them. I think they are a member of the red oak family.

I've been to Brookhaven once back in 89. Rode big truck with my cousin delivering papertowels to the Wal Mart distribution center.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

I thought that chain was easier to saw than hickory  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Toolman

The hickory did'nt throw sparks.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Magicman

Yes Don, wateroak (red) on the mill.  Surprisingly, it was solid (especially the rock)... :D  The whiteoak will be sawed into 2" bridge flooring boards next week.

>:(  Sawed cedar today and hit nails in the two largest.  Three blades down, but the customer paid for them.

I can't seem to slow my work down.  Picked up three new jobs today... 8)  This will, by far, be my busiest year ever.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2009, 08:24:37 PM
I can't seem to slow my work down.  Picked up three new jobs today... 8) 
I know what you mean. I could not take a day off if I wanted to. About the time I think I am getting caught up, more logs seem to find me.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Yesterday's saw was 53 miles from Brookhaven.  (I charge a "setup" fee for over 30 miles)  After we finished, I asked how he found me?  Said that I had sawed for his uncle 3 years ago.  Word travels, and jobs keep coming.

WDH

Word travels especially well when you do a good job and the customer feels like they were treated right.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Got another call this AM.  He said 35-40, 20' red and white oak logs, 16"-18" little end.  That job will be about 65 miles, but I couldn't say no.  Probably take 3 hard days.  Oh well..... 8)

backwoods sawyer

I will go out 100 miles with out a thought, but most of my work is in the 50 miles radius.
A have been 150 miles out and milled up a house project with in a half mile of a highly visible LT-40.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Some mills/sawers have "ruined" themselves with dull blades and mills out of alignment.

Don K

Amen brother! I have had 3 customers that had previously used a guy with a 40 Super. They said I cut much nicer lumber with my LT 15. I have 3 lifetime customers I imagine. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!