iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel fuel tank question

Started by jtmccallum, January 30, 2010, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtmccallum

I am in the process of replacing the fuel lines on my mill.  The previous owner eliminated the quick disconnect for the supply line because of problems bleeding the system after re-fueling.  Is this normally a problem.  Should I just install a new Q/D adapter.  What are other owners doing.  '97 Lombardini.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

amberwood

The prev owner of my 97 super did the same thing. I refill via jerry can.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Magicman

I still have the quick connects, but I always refill with 5 gallon cans.  Even though I don't need them, I did have to replace the plastic one a couple of years ago.

I went to the boat dealership for a new one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I use a quick disconect off a Mercury boat motor gas tank, been working good for almost 2 years. Sometimes I fill with a can and sometimes take the tank off and fill. When it's really cold I bring the tank inside to prevent gelling.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

backwoods sawyer

The previous owner had removed the quick disconnect on my mill as well. I built a new tank and plumbed it in direct. I just lower the head to about 6" and position it so that I can walk right up on and have a solid spot to stand while refueling.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

LeeB

Mine still has the quick connects and I use them whenever I take the tank off for refilling or sometimes I just use another can to refill. One possible reason for removing them is that the can leak after a while causing the line to suck air. This will reek havoc with your engine output.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

It ain't just the diesel tanks. I had the same problem on my gas burner. Same solution, hose clamp and brass fitting..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ladylake

I think it's just a rubber o ring that needs to be replaced if it sucks air.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

Have never had a problem with quick disconnects on my 2008 lt40hdd51 (Cat)
Always take the tank off for refueling.
I am 99% stationary and fill from a bulk tank.
I would assume that if a problem occurs a couple of squeezes on the priming bulb would suffice to cure the prob.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

I had to replace the QD connectors on my gas tank due to the O-Ring leaking air.
I looked for replacement O-Ring's, but they turned out to be "non-standard", so I just put new fitting on instead of continuing the search.
I remove my tank at the end of each day.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!