iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of bug is this?

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 13, 2013, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

justallan1

This is the ones that are called box elder beetles here, and yup, they sure migrate indoors in the winter. I just took this picture.
Allan

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 14, 2013, 08:03:30 AM
Ok, so how do they get inside my mother's house?

Jim Rogers

I get the same bugs in my house and a whopping dose of the box elder beetles that justallan1 posted as well every fall.  Just found one in the shower this morning, in fact.  At my house I'm pretty convinced they're getting in through cracks in the soffits and fascia.  I also noticed I had a bad seal on the threshold of my walkout basement door so I sprayed some pesticide on the inside edge of it just to see what happened.  A few days later I found a large pile of dead box elder beetles just inside the door so clearly that was a preferred route.

SwampDonkey

I get similar bugs like Joan said. They can get in if house flies get in. These old farm houses are house fly havens in winter and they keep coming like the Borg. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tgalbraith

We have had that same bug during winter months here for the past couple years.
From what I could determine from doing a internet search, they are a " squash beetle".
They do have a very bad odor when you disturb them.  They at least twice as long as
a stink bug, but may be related.
If anyone comes up with a way to get rid of them, post it quick.

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Magicman

I call them Pine Sawyer Beetles.  LINK and LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The trouble is, these aren't beetles (the original post by Jim), they are in the order of insects called 'long-horned bugs' which in Latin is Hemiptera in suborder Gymnocerata. They don't have hardened forewings.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Jim, I believe what you have is a Squash Bug (Anasa tristis).
http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/squash-bug.html

I have a lot of problems with Box Elder bugs and once in a while would find a Squash Bug.  At first I thought it was just a huge Box Elder bug but my wife told me what they were because she fights them in her garden.

I've found the cheapest way to kill Box Elder bugs and Squash bugs is by spraying them with dish detergent diluted with enough water so it will spray good.  I kill thousands of them from their nymph stage to their adult stage and they just keep on coming.  It is a losing battle but a good way to vent my frustrations. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!