iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ever seen an oak subfloor in an old house

Started by hillbillyhogs, February 03, 2013, 09:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyhogs

I have tried tried and tried. Tired of selling one board at a time

mrcaptainbob

The house I'm now in is around 150 years old. Has an addition about forty years old. The barn is one of those built into a notch in the side of a hill. The floor on it is 2x6 t&g. That was covered with a VERY heavy felt. I believe it may have been rolled roofing. That in turn is covered by 3/4 4x8 plywood. SERIOUSLY sturdy. Now back to the house. That addition has a beautiful walnut floor. Alternates with  2 1/4 and 3 1/2 with random lengths. The ends of each board are drilled and have a black walnut plug in it. Simulation, but it looks good. The down side is that that beautiful flooring was layed on chipboard. You know the stuff from decades ago? And that was set on top of 2x4's layed on their sides over the plastic sheet that covered the cement slab. The floor squeaks to beat the band! Impossible to sneak up the wife! Great job on the barn floor, not so much on the house.

John25mm

Quote from: hillbillyhogs on February 03, 2013, 09:20:02 PM
Seeing as we have more red oak than we know what to do with... my feeble mind has surmised that a red oak subfloor run on a 45 degree angle T&G (of course) with 2 1/4 wide red oak floor on top of it would do pretty well since they would  be the same species...??

Are my assumptions correct?  Or am I crazy... ::)
This is what is in my Mother in Laws house. Guess what, I DOESN"T MOVE. Not one little bit and when we put in some new flooring for her the air nailer had some issues with it. It is a bit dense and doesn't like new nails. My father in law didn't like to build things twice. The other nice thing about it was that is was cut on the families circle mill they have.

tyb525

I don't think your seafloor needs to be t&g also
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

hillbillyhogs

Quote from: tyb525 on February 11, 2013, 04:35:36 PM

ive been debating that myself. Due to some thickness variation I have to plane it all anyway so...?

jueston

Quote from: tyb525 on February 11, 2013, 04:35:36 PM

i think the seafloor does need t&g, maybe something rot resistant...  ;)

tyb525

Darn autocorrect, I thought this was a "smart" phone ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!