iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer for landings - stacking/sorting - wheeled or tracks?

Started by catfishhunter, December 21, 2020, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I run chains on my tires . I got 4 but most times run front as back wheels are off the ground lots lol. I got good chains to. Now I see they make better chains with more bite but have not seen a set in.person.just online

catfishhunter

I just borrowed a T590 and I'm going to give it a go on the landing this weekend and see how it does

catfishhunter

Been running the T590 for a little while now. The summer dirt tracks are 50% and ok on snow, horrible on ice. On the landing it's a little slower because you have to ease into the movement so that it doesn't start to spin. Then after a bit of landing work it packs everything down and turns it into hard pack and ice making it even slower to stack the wood. So I'll be looking for a winter track or solution to get around that part.

All other conditions - I expect this to be a monster compared to wheeled so might be the trade off. I guess it will be a multi year experiment to see if it can do the job. If not, I'll go back to wheeled in a year or two.

I have a tree job coming up  by a lake house. I'm going to see if it can track over the snow and allow me to get at the wood to move it easier. I don't think I could get there with a wheeled unit because it would sink and get stuck.

We'll see...I'll keep you all posted...

Anyone knows of track stud websites I'd be curious to at least check them out...

mike_belben

Quote from: catfishhunter on February 12, 2021, 07:05:13 AM

Anyone knows of track stud websites I'd be curious to at least check them out...
duroforce makes full steel tracks for the 590. they're high but used only in winter i bet they'd last a while.  
Praise The Lord

barbender

I'd think that the full steel tracks would be even more worthless on a hard packed icy landing. With the little bit of dozer I run, I've been surprised how worthless our Deere 700 dozers are on hard frozen ground like that. One time I had to push a quick truck turn around, had a large aspen right in the middle. It was late February or early March, the snow had thawed/froze several times and it had drove the frost into even undisturbed ground. I was having a heck of a time getting that tree pushed over, the machine wanted to just sit there and spin the second the blade touched the ground. I was really surprised how much trouble it had.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Quote from: barbender on February 12, 2021, 09:17:26 AM
I'd think that the full steel tracks would be even more worthless on a hard packed icy landing. 
the duroforce is almost like a continuous belt of ice cleat.  and if they aren't awesome you could easily weld a few short cleat bars on to really make it bite. the extra weight over rubber is gonna add some ground pressure, and infrequent spikes would have tons of penetration. 
https://rubbertracksamerica.com/products/2-steel-tracks-fits-bobcat-t590-16-49-link-free-shipping
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on February 12, 2021, 09:17:26 AM
I'd think that the full steel tracks would be even more worthless on a hard packed icy landing. With the little bit of dozer I run, I've been surprised how worthless our Deere 700 dozers are on hard frozen ground like that. One time I had to push a quick truck turn around, had a large aspen right in the middle. It was late February or early March, the snow had thawed/froze several times and it had drove the frost into even undisturbed ground. I was having a heck of a time getting that tree pushed over, the machine wanted to just sit there and spin the second the blade touched the ground. I was really surprised how much trouble it had.
A friend had a few stories of the D6 sliding around like a pair of ice skates 

catfishhunter

Anyone ever try these studs? They look like a better stud than the sheet metal screws type that I've seen in the past...

Skid Steer Track Studs | Grip StudsĀ® Screw-In Tire Studs | Traction in Ice, Snow and Dirt

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Skidsteer solutions .com.  Carries those and a few other types 

dnash

JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Thank You Sponsors!