iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Item On Christmas List

Started by Scott, December 15, 2003, 06:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Theres been some mineral exploration goin on out around the logging roads the past week or so. While i was walking out there the guys were setting up a new pieceof ground for the drill to sit (it's a 12x16 shack mounted on a big steel bob sled, the drill sticks up through the roof). Anyways they were setting the area up with a D6C. What an impressive machine to see work. The area was right at the foot of a very steep hill and he had to go up it to doze a couple times, i thought he was gonna lose it once or twice. He'd have the dozer almost straight up and down and then hit a stump and one side would come up even more. I've never actually seen a dozer working like that before but needless to say i want one now. They wouldn't tell me what theyere drilling for.

ScottAR

www.acmoc.org   Antique Caterpillar Site...  Good board with only a few nasties, but the moderator is stepping in now more...  

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Scott

ScottAR, I didn't have time to look around the site too much but it looks pretty good. I'll have to take a closer look tonight. Thanks

ScottAR

No Problem...

You should know that Yellow fever is just as bad as sawdust fever.  There's no hope for me but you can still be saved!   :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Scott

I don't know that i want to be. :o :D

ScottAR

Oh btw,  The D6C was/is well known as a fine machine, especially the 10k series.  One can find out year model and equipment by the first digits of the serial number.  

The D6C 10k for example was the 140hp version with powershift trans.  Around '68-'70 year model...  HTH
Scott
[Magicman]

Scott

The D6 is a little big for my uses. I've kicked around the idea of buying an older D3 or 4 for working on the woodlot for a year or two now. I'd love to get one but chances are first time it breaks down i couldn't afford to fix the thing.

woodmills1

I have a 1968 case 310G shovel dozer.  It is currently broken, I think it is a drive axle.  But when I look back to what I paid and the reativley few repairs, the work I got out of it is tremendous.  I paid $3200 twenty years ago.  The single largest repair was one of the front idle wheels that I had spray welded to repair a worn race to hold the new bearings.  That was around a thousand dollars but if I did it again I would get used parts except for the bearings.  I put a clutch in it but that was only around 400 for parts.  I have replaced both sets of final drive bearings with parts being around 250 and one brake band that was around 100.  One regulator and both batteries twice.  If you can do the work yourself you will be surprized at what they will push around.  If you need support around the mill a compact tractor may be more versitile.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Scott

Woodmills, one of my bosses used to have one of those. He said it was great to have but he sold it when it started throwing the track a lot. Unfortunantly I'm not much of a mechanic. Our 200 arcres has no roads on it and has lots of really soft ground and  is almost all big old growth spruce so i think a dozer would be a good choice. How big of a stump will your machine take out?

ScottAR

Within reason, any dozer will take out most any size stump till ya get to redwoods and such.  The difference is the amount of time and digging to get them out.  

I've been thinking a D3 or D4 with a winch and fowarding trailer would be great for thinning or woodlot type stuff.  
Scott
[Magicman]

Scott

A winch is definatly something to get, theyre just plain handy. I'd proably look for one of those roller flairhead things too. What size stump could you push out with a d3 or 4 without much digging? The D6 took out a stump that was about 16 or 18 inches wwithout too much trouble. he cut down under the roots with the blade then lifted and it just popped out.

ScottAR

That's a hard question to answer without knowing what kinda trees we are talking about...  I'd 12" would be resonable...  What you described is the kinda digging I was refering to; cutting the roots.    Stumping goes much better with the tree still attached...  ;D

I think I have some pics of dozers and stumps if I can resize them small enough...  
Scott
[Magicman]

slowzuki

Scott, you're down around St. Stephen aren't you?  There is a lot of gold exploration going on in that corner of the province.

Ken

Scott

Slowzuki, i'm in Saint John county although i'm actually closer to grand bay (you might know where that is) They could have been drilling for gold although both the sites i saw were on a piece of limestone ledge. It definatly wasn't natural gas or anything as there was no well casing.
   ScottAR, how much  does a root rake help for stump removall? I'd like to see those pictures if you could get them resized. With regards to the tree being attached, i know what you mean it works great. My dad and I took out a couple 10 or so inch poplar trees with his 33 horse massey ferguson 4x4. I put the tractor in low gear and drove into the tree with the bucket all the way up pushing down on it as i went forward, the roots popped right out :)

ScottAR

A root rake is mainly for the brushy stuff and for "stacking" piles of debris without gathering too much dirt.  Just the blade is better generally for grubbing stumps.  

Hmmm, I need a ruling from the moderators before I start posting pics...  I didn't take most of these but I got them from a public forum.  What say ye fellas?
Scott
[Magicman]

Jeff

Sorry, but posting pictures taken from another forum would be inappropriate. They would not like it. You can however link to the forum where the photos are.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ScottAR

That's what I figured...  The link I posted above is where I collected them...  They come from various postings from the last couple years.  Unfortunately, The active forum only goes back about a month.  The archive isn't accessible yet.  

Thanks for the heads up Jeff, I am a guest here and I didn't want to act out of line.  
Scott
[Magicman]

Scott

Could you email me those pictures if you don't mind?

ScottAR

Scott
[Magicman]

Scott

Thanks Scott. the picture of the dozer in the stump was really neat, I've never seen anything quite like that before. I really like those 527s. 25 inches ground clearance, PAT blade, Swing grapple, sprocket forward for better skidding. That old cable d9 is in nice shape. here's a link to a really good dozer site.

http://www.geocities.com/chieftainjdoliver/Dozers.html

Tom

ScottAR!
You're not a guest here, your're a member!!  I'm impressed that you ask for the proper thing to do but don't sell yourself short.  Guests look in a enjoy.  Members look in, enjoy and take part too. ;D

ScottAR

Tom, Thanks for your assurances.  This place is really great and I hate to disrespect the rules here.  

Scott, The sprocket is in the same place on the 527 as a D5H, they move the idlers back.  Note the extra track chains on the outside of the track pads.  That way the pads won't bend driving over stumps.  Neat!!

That D9 lives in New jersey with many siblings on a farm.  

Here's a few more links:
http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/forum/default.asp
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/
http://craneaccidents.com/
http://www.geocities.com/plowmaster71/index.html
http://www.ibdozing.com/
http://www.doncampbellmodels.com/dozer_project.shtml
Scott
[Magicman]

dan-l-b

Oregon_Rob

Here's a good link i just found for equipment discussion:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Heavy_Equipment_Operators/messages

I'm looking to get into an apprenticeship and just haven't found much in the way of discussion groups.

Rob 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

Stan

The guy who cleared my lot had an 8, and no trouble. The guy who cleared the row for the electric lines had a 5 and spent more time climbing trees than pushin' them. He hadda go and get his 6 to finish the job.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!