iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live Edge Walnut Table with Rite Leg Base

Started by 123maxbars, March 17, 2018, 01:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

In the past I have been using Waterlox as my preferred finish for furniture. I recently was encouraged by some other woodworkers to use Rubio Monocoat.
For those unfamiliar with this product: It has almost no VOC present, only one coat is needed and is cured in 48 hours and ready to be used. Also easy to apply, after putting on the piece you let it dry for 15 minutes then rub it out until your cloth no longer is collecting oil from the surface.  The preferred method of application is a bondo type scraper. Anyways I am very happy with the easiness it took to apply and how it turned out. I got mine from amazon.com http://amzn.to/2HHghnO

I also used a pair of the Rite Leg companies legs for this coffee table which also turned out great. To attach to top to the legs I did not use their enclosed hardware. I instead recently got some wood taps from the wood whisperer guy. Those taps worked out great. Anyways here are a few pics of the slab and finished piece. Also note that is an Ebony Dutchman at the top of the slab. I also did a black tinted epoxy pour in the crack to seal it up entirely. The first photo is after the finish and the second photo is before.

Also here is the video that accompanies the last stage of the build and also shows the application of the Rubio Monocoat.  
WORKING WITH TIMBER IN AN OLD WOOD SHOP IN THE MOUNTAINS OF TENNESSEE, A SLAB COMES TO LIFE, - YouTube
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

samandothers

Interesting finish.  I am trying Waterlox and Heritage finish now on some wood to determine which I like.  
Waterlox appears to give the wood a yellowish or amber tint.  I am applying to some white pine, white oak, and SYP.  The original Waterlox finish is what I am using which is a bit glossy.
The Heritage, which I believe use to be known as Landark, does not tint the wood.  It is less glossy too.
Of the two the Heritage is more pleasant smelling with a citrus aroma.  They both take multiple coats.

Kbeitz

Love your videos and your work... Couple of questions. Do you hand sharpen your hand scrapers and what video software do you use?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats got to be the ugliest table I've ever seen......I'll take 3 please 
for Christmas presents.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

123maxbars

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 17, 2018, 05:47:53 PM
Thats got to be the ugliest table I've ever seen......I'll take 3 please
for Christmas presents.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ill bring you one next month down to Jake's place Goat, just bring a blank check. ill fill in the numbers, :) 
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Savannahdan

That finish has a real nice shine to it.  The grain really pops when you begin spreading the solution around.  Is the finish okay for exterior use?
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

123maxbars

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 17, 2018, 03:11:34 PM
Love your videos and your work... Couple of questions. Do you hand sharpen your hand scrapers and what video software do you use?

Yes I hand sharpen all my scrapers, and the program I currently use is called Filmora,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: Savannahdan on March 19, 2018, 07:35:51 AM
That finish has a real nice shine to it.  The grain really pops when you begin spreading the solution around.  Is the finish okay for exterior use?

I would say no, it was originally invented for hardwood flooring and that is still its main use. However a few years ago someone used it for furniture and it got popular due to the one coat only needed and no VOC contents, its a little high, enough finish for  one coat on the top and bottom of this slab was $25. but you save time that you loose with other finishes requiring multiple coats,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

samandothers

What is the process to repair if scratched?  

WDH

Great video.  The finish looks very interesting.  Hmmmmm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Filmora.... Thanks... Found one on E-bay...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!