iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you use sawdust in woodworking?

Started by ponderosae, September 16, 2019, 05:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponderosae

I see that there are a lot of topics here about what to do with lots of sawdust from milling. As far as what to do with a little bit, I watched a video about furniture restoration, where sawdust was being added to the glue, in order to make staining it look better. Maybe it would be good for filling holes in wood, so less glue or other filler would have to be used.

doc henderson

i know a doc with an off grid cabin, and he takes mine to use for his low tech composting cabin toilet.  only # 2 into a 5 gallon bucket, then cover with sawdust.  dump when full. rinse and repeat!  the saw dust i use for filler is from fine sanding, and many will add glue to the crack and then just sand over it, with the wet glue in the imperfection. 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ponderosae

Well, I don't think I'd want to add glue to that crack...

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

I will take fine dust out of my orbital sander bag to mix with glue to fill cracks on woodwork.  We are talking about a minute amount.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

ponderosae

Ah, maybe I'll try using more sawdust though, mixed with construction adhesive, next time I fill a dead knot hole.  I've used that by itself and it works, but doesn't look like wood.

hackberry jake

I've had people come and get my planer/jointer shavings for all kinds of things. Hog bedding, leveling underneath above ground pools, putting in horse stalls, mixing with lawn clippings to make compost. But most of it still just washes down the mountain when it rains. It came from nature. I guess it's ok if it returns.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Southside

Quote from: doc henderson on September 16, 2019, 05:46:08 PMdump when full

I do the same thing Doc, but what does that have to do with wood working? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

we were talking about his bucket, not your bowels!!!  @Southside .  Is your wife not watching you today?    :D :D :D

Don P

Mostly I use it to without glue to fill imperfections in my land.
It also works good in the bottom of the box with the baby chickens.

Southside

See - Chickens come up in the discussion @K-Guy and I had nothing to do with it!  :D  It's a space time continuum thing I tell ya!!  @doc henderson Nope - she is on the left coast for two weeks, nobody to keep me in check.   8) 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Southside, don't forget to take your meds. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Thanks for the love Danny.  :D We sure don't want a repeat of THAT situation now do we?   :o  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Chickens and crack in the same thread what is this place coming too. :o

Cosmo52

I've never tried it but is supposed to work as a replacement for gravel in making concrete.  Looks like sawmill sawdust or maybe planer shavings would work

samandothers

While it is not a large volume at a time it works as a good oil dry.  I'll give it to my neighbor at times to use in his shop under his lift.   it does a good job absorbing mechanical device droppings, not just animal droppings.

JRHill

A neighbor has an off grid rental and he just came by for another load. Along with others who use the saw dust in pens, I told him to put a scoop or two into burlap and place several around his cabin. The fresh cut ponderosa fills the inside with a forest scent that people love.

It's not so good in a garden, etc. as the saw dust robs nitrogen from the soil as it degrades - at least that's what the extension service says.

But for me the real problem is small trimmings and partial slabs. We use as much as possible (doug fir) in the wood burning season for starting and in the evening when we're around to keep reloading. Can't use it in the fire pit for cooking unless swinging a covered pot.

Don P

It does tie up nitrogen as it breaks down but there is a very slight positive N overall and organic matter is good for soil tilth. We've put down cardboard in the walk paths in the garden and cover that with fresh sawdust to keep weeds down and make clean walkways. Then a year or two later that goes into the beds and repeat. There is a big pile at one end of the garden that I periodically refresh for that.

Thank You Sponsors!