iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to find someone in IN with "Wide" mill

Started by Brad_bb, July 17, 2019, 01:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Trying to find someone in IN with one of the new woodmizer "Wide" mills.I have a log I want to slab, a walnut with a ton of burls on it.  It's about 34 inch wide at the widest point.  I have a CSM, but the small end dia is not very big, maybe 14, and I don't want to lose so much material with the wide CSM kerf.
I went to Woodmizer's "Find a sawyer" directory, but they have the mills listed as LT40HDD51, and LT15G25W, and LT70HDD55W-RH.  I have no idea what all the letters and numbers mean after the basic mill size??  If they had a "wide" mill, what would the designation be?  It's confusing. I don't see any listed with the word "Wide".  I tried contacting WM via their web page and just got an automated response "check the pro sawyer network".  No help.

FYI, I know of one place that has an industrial woodmizer that could slab it, but I'd rather find a smaller guy that I could help get it aligned in the orientation that I want on the mill and cut as I want.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

terrifictimbersllc

W stands for wide (the second and third ones).
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

LT40HDD51 = LT40 Hydraulic (HD) Diesel (D) 51 Horsepower (51)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodybutcher

Brad, I am in southwestern In, about 25 miles south of Terre Haute. I have an EZ Boardwalk 40 that I cam cut make a 32"+  cut with, if that would help. How long is this log, and approx weight? 

Brad_bb

It's 34" at the widest point.  The log itself isn't that big.  Maybe 16" at the base and 12" at the top and 16'  long.  I found one guy in West Lafayette, IN with an LT40 wide.  I'll probably take it to him as his location is convenient.  I'm now debating on whether to cut the log for a 10' or 12' table.  A 10' would let me make a 6' table from the rest.  Tough choice when I don't have the actual space defined for it.

Mike W

I'd leave it full length, once cut up into slabs, you would have all the best options based on needs and figure in the slabs to what length to trim them down to, much easier then trying to glue them back together ;D

Brad_bb

I guess I should have just posted a pic!  The burls is what makes it 34" wide at the widest point.

briand7878

I have a buddy in Tipton county with an lt15 wide, which I believe cuts 36".

redbeard

Brad just a suggestion ,
If you were too pic a flat side of log and open that face deep enough  too fit your Mill and slab it down.
You would have a nice selection of river table candidates. If you wanna show off the burl nodules. They can be a bit clumsy making a table with nodules on outer edges.
Or a couple of 4-6" thick mantle would be pretty awesome too.
Had a similar log and customer  wanted straight edges on one side of slabs.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!