iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

West Nile Virus ??

Started by Magicman, October 04, 2011, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I wonder if I have contracted it.  I Googled WNV and the symptoms match.   :-\

I'll call the Doctor in the morning.  I got no time for this foolishness.  My Son and I leave for Colorado two weeks from today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

What in the world makes you think you have West Nile versus any other virus?????
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Just trying to reason it out.  I did get several mosquito bites last week, and an article in today's newspaper stated that we have a verified case of WNV here in Lincoln County.  (power of suggestion)  I'll be buzzing the Dr. in the morning.  They may refer me to the Doc-in-the-Box, depending upon how their appointment schedule is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

Slow down Magic!  If you have mild viral symptoms, they are just going to ride it out with supportive care.  There is no specific treatment for West Nile Virus.  Relax.  Handle any dead birds lately?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Bill Gaiche

MM,  sure hope you only have a non serious bug. I know when I was down your way about a week ago I was ambushed with your Brokehaven pest several times. Hate them devils. Get to that doc and checked out so you can make that Co. hunting trip. Get well and good luck. bg

wwsjr

Hope you do not have the West Nile.  I can testify to the mosquito population around your deck. They did not bite me, but Bill was constantly swatting at them when we were sitting out back.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Quote from: doctorb on October 04, 2011, 08:02:56 PM
Relax. 

Thanks, doctrorb.  I'll slow down to a mild panic.  I guess that I am just afraid something will mess up the Colorado trip that my Son and I are planning together in two weeks.

Quote from: doctorb on October 04, 2011, 08:02:56 PM
Handle any dead birds lately? 

I just could not pass this one up.  Hang my head and confess before all.

I have to admit that I did handle a drumstick or two and maybe a wing.    :D

clww

Lynn- what ARE those? ???
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

These.   :)

Before we ate them all up.   digin_2 

Bill Gaiche

Yeah they got ate and were the best. MM I didnt get any virus that I know of from handling those birds. bg

Woodwalker

You know you should take this serious. That bird flu is bad stuff. You may want to stay home, treat the symptoms and send me your elk tag :D :D
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Jeff

All internet searches of symptoms of any kind result in the discovery and self diagnosis of a fatal, near fatal, or at the very least, debilitating disease.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Yup, doctorb scolded me heavily and rightly so.  Me running a fever or taking a Tylenol (maybe a dozen in a year) or something is just so far from my normal.  I got no time to be sick.  Stuff needs doing.

Magicman

I woke up a little past midnight completely wet with sweat.  I changed bed clothes and slept fairly well the rest of the night.  No Doctor visit today.  Hopefully,  I'll tough it out.   ;D

thecfarm

Must be something going on. I would not let it go too long. Good luck with the sweats and the big hunt in CO.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Gaiche

Sounds good. Hope you have weathered the storm so you can get all that stuff done before the trip. bg

doctorb

night sweats can be a symptom of a ton of different things.  Do you have a cough?

Have you had a TB skin test?

Magicman

As it turns out, my quarterly checkup is tomorrow.  I'll talk with Dr. Jim about it.

Magicman

101.0° F. yesterday.  101.9° F. today.  I finally ate a nice bowl of hambone soup and I am not too far from going to bed.  The only meds that I have taken is ibuprofen.

My "fasting" appointment with Dr. Jim is at 8:00AM.  The drawing comes after the appointment so he will know what to order.

Ms Meadows Miller

I agree with Willie! The mosquitos on your back deck are horrible!!! They almost carried me away! Hope you get to feelin better. Chris left today  :'( :'( :'( It was very hard not to hide the truck keys!

Magicman

Dr. Jim was not pleased with me for having a fever and not coming on to see him.  His first diagnosis is the flu.  (I was scheduled to get my flu shot today  :-\)

The other thing that concerned him was the fact that I had gotten a tick on my back a couple of weeks ago.   Since I can't see my back, it could easily have been on me for at least 24 hours.  He is running Lyme as well as RMSF tests.

Bill Gaiche

MM, are you feeling better? Did you get any results from doc? bg

Magicman

I have not gotten any test results yet.  I am taking Tamiflu, and an antibiotic for Lyme & RMSF.  He said that whatever I do not have the additional treatment would be worth it in getting ahead of whatever I do have.

This morning was rough, fever, muscles sore, and generally feeling rotten.  This afternoon and evening I have felt better.  Maybe, just maybe I'm getting ahead of this.

clww

You get better, Lynn!
I'll say a prayer for you, because it would be no fun to drive to CO to chase elk with some kind of sickness.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Thanks clww.  Last night and this morning, I'm absolutely better.  In my mind a couple of days ago, that trip was OUT.  No way.  It's back on track now.   smiley_thumbsup

ibseeker

There you go, Lynn...the power of positive thinking. Glad to hear you're doing better. Don't take any chances though, there will be time for other hunts rather than chancing a relapse and having it go from bad to worse.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Warbird

No test results until Monday?

Magicman

That's the way I see it Warbird.  Hopefully Monday.  If I kick it, I guess that it doesn't matter anyway.  Something appears to be working though.

Warbird

Good.  Glad you are kicking whatever it is.  I had a couple of nasty flues last year after having taken the flu shot.  I have decided not to take the flu shot this year.  ;)

clww

I feel the same about the flu shot/mist. We are actually required to get it yearly in the military. I try to slip through the cracks every year and not get it. My success rate of avoidance, since it became mandatory, has been about 20 percent.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

Hope you stay on track and have a great time in Colorado, best of luck with the hunt!

Magicman

Thanks, I nursed a headache this morning.  It is gone now and hopefully will stay gone.  I hope that a week without exercise will not adversely affect my climbing/packing ability.

I plan to unload all of the sawing stuff from the truck tomorrow.  We still have 8 days, so no need to rush or push myself.

Magicman

Just a quick update.  The tests for Lyme and RMSF came back negative.   :)   I guess it was "just" the flu, but I certainly do not want it again.  It was a total drain.

All of the routine tests came back OK.  Sugar, cholesterol, etc.  Pretty good for the old man to not have to regularly take any meds.   smiley_thumbsup

thecfarm

Must be the mill and the sawdust. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Radar67

Glad to hear you are feeling better Lynn. :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bill Gaiche

Thats great. Colorado here we come. bg

Thank You Sponsors!