iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another black walnut post

Started by nlrwrangler, September 19, 2011, 10:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlrwrangler

What should I do.  I have come across a nice black walnut tree that made a deal to acquire and I am not sure what I am going to do with it.  I currently do not have a great market to sell milled wood to.  Should I cut it up and dry and try to sell it stickered or dry next year or should I haul the two best logs off and then cut up the good limbs.  The butt log is a 24 in dia on the small end and that is the heart wood not counting the sap wood.   Also there are about 4 good crotches that seem like some one might want.  I planing on cutting up one of them for myself.   What are your suggestion?  What do you think? 

Jeff

Do you have a photo of the saw log?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

nlrwrangler

it is not cut up yet.  it is the long log in the pics and it is not cut up yet.  but here is another one that I cropped.  Sorry the pics are not great I took them with my cell phone.

Thanks
Chase

beenthere

Quote from: nlrwrangler on September 19, 2011, 10:39:41 PM
...........  The butt log is a 24 in dia on the small end and that is the heart wood not counting the sap wood.

And this is the stump I presume of the butt log that is 24" heartwood at the small end?

And curious why the high stump?  If the upper diameter is 24", then is the stump diam about 30"? Something in the pic for reference would be helpful to see the size of the log. ;)

Having 24" of that stump added to the butt log, and the fork at the top cut back would make a good stick to saw up. There are a number of bark defects showing, and likely not a lot of quality in clear wood. But still could be some beautiful walnut lumber in there. Interesting to know more about the black stain that shows on the stump at the border of the heartwood/sapwood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

5quarter

Beenthere...I usually see that ring in young or fast-growing trees, often in wet, lowland areas. The stain is more-blue-green and fades fairly quick.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

nlrwrangler

wow you are correct about it being a low land good water source it sits by a spring.  As for something of reference I understand the need but did not have anything with me.  Yes as for the stump it is about 31 in dia of heart wood.  I did not cut the tree down someone else did and it is sad as it woulds have made the butt log be a 10 footer.  but ignorance is bliss.  (I guess).  What is black walnut bringing in the log and what is it bringing in lumber?  Thanks

beenthere

How long would the butt log be if it was cut off below the big limb (second one from the top end in pic #3 of the original post) and what would the diameter be at that cut?  
How may more defects show in the bark like the one seen about 5' up from the stump cut?  
One can only hope that the quality seen on the surface doesn't drop rapidly when the log is opened up.  

Better pics without the brush around, and a view of all faces would help a lot (along with a rule or the like in the picture too).
Value will likely be in the eyes of the beholder after the log is opened up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

looks from the pictures to be about a 16 to 18 footer. I am curious about the reddish stain? walnut,s here in PA. pick up minerals and often give the purple/green stain after cutting. look,s like a good little log. pick up all logs, straight, bends, crotches and start sawing. I usually bust them down in 4/4 and box the heart in 8/4. but you can do  anything your heart desires. prices vary in eastern PA anywhere from .50 to .85 cents a bf.for regular saw logs. to 2.00 to 3.00 dollars for veneer. Tim

paul case

i have been selling some walnut sawlogs like that for $1.50 bdft. smaller ones from 12'' down to about 9'' only bring $.75. i bring it all home though. if the buyer dont want some of them i saw them in 4/4 and sell them out the door for $1.50 bdft. that is a pretty nice log. i am with the other guys though, to get the most log on walnut cut them buggers off right at the ground. i wouldnt mind getting a whole woods full of ones like that to cut. ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

You could saw a 4"x12" mantle, some 4/4, and some 8/4.  I sell a good bit of air dried walnut, and I can get from $2.75 - $4.50 per BF for 4/4 based on grade.  I sell the 8/4 for $6.00 per BF.  I don't sell a lot of 8/4, but the price makes it worth fooling with it.  I bet that if you saw the lumber, air dry it, and advertise on Craigslist, you will be able to sell it.  However, don't expect it to happen fast.  But hey, what is time to a walnut board  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Since it is a "yard tree" I would highly suspect that some of the defects on the trunk are caused by metal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

yep that is a consideration. i wouldnt use a new blade to saw that one. walnut trees attract metal like nascar attracts rednecks.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

jimparamedic

If you have away to dig the stump and thge owner will let you have it you can sell it for gun stock blanks

nlrwrangler

It has only been a yard tree for about 5 years.  It is a new home sight.

Thank You Sponsors!