iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas 825: can the emergency brake be used for non-emergency

Started by chainsaw_louie, April 02, 2012, 12:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi ,

I bought a used Lucas 825 and the emergency cut off cable is totally missing.
Since I mill alone, its often the case that I want to stop the blade from rotating, push the carriage back over the log and pull out the board.  If the blade is still spinning while I push it back over the wood, it will chew up the surface of the loose board. I would like to use the emergency brake to stop the blade completely without having to turn off the motor and/or wait till it stops spinning.

What do you think, is this advisable ? 

Thanks.

Tim

Dakota

If you are sawing alone, you can solve this by making your vertical cut(saw balde vertical) first and your horizontal cut second.  This leaves the saw head out of the way, and past the end of the log.  Grab your board and stack!
Dave Rinker

chainsaw_louie

OK, maybe I should try that method but I like the horizontal first method because I can pull the board out and lay it in a pile behind me. I dont have to walk down and  back the length of the mill with the motor running.  I guess its compromise but that brake sure looks like it could solve this for me.  Maybe I'll just get some cable and try it .  The previous owner took the cable off and couldnt find it when he sold it to me.

-t

Meadows Miller

Gday

as Dakota said start at the fa end of the log and do your vertical first swing down and do the horizontal you can usualy put the head the last few feet of the cut with the handel so your not walking all the way to the end of the log with the head ( this is if your rails are level and the head unit dose not want to free roll otherwise stay with the head and put the carriage lock on after every pass ;) ) thats the most productive way i have found to saw solo in 13 od years of using Lucas mills it also is my prefered way of doing it when I have a tailerout as if they are doing something or not there i can stack the odd board or get rid of abit of trash myself  ;) ;D 8)

with the safty stop you need to have one on there its a feature there to keep you safe I usualy use mine when im inbetween doing something the new ones are good as it is tied in with the throttle push it in and it wil idle down push it till it stops and the brake is engauged on the clutch ;)  ;D

I will also add from the sounds of the way you are doung it you will most likely save 25% dead walking time using it the way we do Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!