iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffin Hardware

Started by Don P, December 06, 2016, 09:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I just got off the phone with a dear friend. I'd appreciate pics of anything you've done, links to hardware, plans, etc.

Magicman

Google is your friend:  Casket HardwareCasket Plans  Google also found many other suppliers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DeepWoods

Made this one for my father in law several years ago.  Also made another one for my mother in law after that using the same plans and hardware from Rockler Woodworking.  Pretty simple design actually.  I've been wanting to build two more for my wife and I, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The plaque that is in the cover was removed before he was cremated, and now hangs in the log cabin he built. 

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Papa1stuff

That coffin is way to beautiful to burn just a pine box like you see in the old classic western movies would be good enough for me
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Don P

That's Mule, he said "Rough sawn is fine, don't use anything good, its going in the ground".
I sent out an email last night, my inbox is full of wood and help this morning, he has amassed a wealth of friends in this life. This will be a green burial, which is the new name for a simple old time burial on the farm. It needs to be strong but not too much oversized.

Brad_bb

Did this last spring for my buddy's civil war display:

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

There's the direction we're leaning. A friend suggested we all bring different boards from the mountains.

Don P

I didn't get any pics but one of the other guys sent a pic of the top mocked up

We wanted to be able to list the woods in it so I tried to remember and write it down a minute ago.
The top is a wide plank of ambrosia red maple flanked by two narrow strips of chestnut from the Fielder cabin. The outside live edged pieces are from an eastern hophornbeam that grew up in the hollow behind the barn.

The sides are 3 horizontal planks wide, the top and bottom planks are white oak, the center plank on the long sides are cherry and on the ends are apple. One end bottom is red oak.

The handles are chestnut from a load that Mule delivered to Scott many years ago. The handle brackets are walnut from Rick. When Rick picked up that wood from the landowner he was shown pictures of that tree with Civil War soldiers in front of it.

The bottom, from memory,
American elm, basswood, sweet birch, beech, poplar, walnut, black locust because he's split miles of it, white pine, hemlock, mockernut, sassafras, ash, eastern redcedar, sycamore. The apple, sassafras and walnut came from the cove, the poplar from up in canoe holler. We capped the corners at the end of the evening with rough sawn oak from Rick and Jen's house.

Although it is under less than cheerful circumstances we've had a good time, people rotate in and out, stories come out. We realized none of us are the sit around politely keeping vigil types, he is giving us one more gift. I did warn him if he didn't give me time it'd be 6 pine boards shot together, I think we'll be done tomorrow but I'd just as soon it fall apart of old age before it's needed.

Magicman

What a tribute.  His wishes are bringing his friends together with bonds of love that will never be broken or forgotten.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tree-farmer

Out standing! smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Don P

We made good progress today, I'll buff and recoat it tomorrow. He's tickled he gave us a reason to get together. Another friend down the mountain is carving a marker out of a redcedar stump.

I was worried about the handles carrying that amount of weight but I think we got it.

I remembered some shagbark from a tree on the bluff over the river and made cleats for the underside of the top, the guys then glued it up, sanded and slicked it up.

This is inside. I had a scrap of an old beaded heart pine beam from the first job I worked with Mule on. I ripped miniature shoe molding for around the inside bottom leaving the old paint and beading on it.

I guess were trying to surround him with the friends and forest he loves.

rjwoelk

I am pretty excited about this find and the site for plans. I figure the pet coffins will be a good sell. People will spend big money for that sort of thing.
Yes i will make mine and my wife. Once done will see if my father in law wants his made. Well i come from a large family. $$$$ :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Brad_bb

Remember, if you're making a coffin for someone, if the deceased is Jewish, there can't be any metal hardware in the coffin.  Only wood (pins, wedges etc) and glue.

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

That is news to me. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

My Great Uncle, Grandpa's older brother who lived with them at the end of his time, made his own casket out of heart cypress and stored it in the barn for many years. I think when he finally died they had to rip out and replace the lining where the mice had gotten into it. Us kids would play around it and I guess we always thought it was just a long tool chest.

I worked in Cameroon for many years on the west coast of central Africa and people over there cobbled together some pretty rough looking coffins to bury their dead in. They would tie them on top of taxis and such and stick a patch of green leaves and such in front of the radiator so people approaching knew there was a dead person on board. The funny thing was it became the practice to put green leaves in the front of a vehicle that was towing another "dead" vehicle too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rjwoelk

MM i looked up that book looks good and there are a few others I am dying to get. I surely will bury my nose into reading them.  I am dead serious about this. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

I would want to deal with an established company to keep from getting stiffed. 

samandothers

If you wake in the morning and this is still a dead ringer for what you want then check out!

Brad_bb

You guys are killing me.

rjwoelk

Well as the singer Roberta flack sings.
Strumming my pain with his fingers 
Singing my life with his words 
Killing me softly with his song 
Killing me softly with his song...

rjwoelk

So seriously i was thinking about adding a few words to the inside of the coffin lid.

For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.
1 Thessalonians 4:16-‬17

With this to follow on a sticky note.

Dear sir or madam.  As you have found this coffin here in my shed, and I and millions of folks have vanished please feel free to use it were needed as I no longer have need of it.

Pulphook

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 21, 2019, 05:28:35 PM
Remember, if you're making a coffin for someone, if the deceased is Jewish, there can't be any metal hardware in the coffin.  Only wood (pins, wedges etc) and glue.
Fake news Brad. :-[ 
Look it up for all people-- strict faith based or not.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on January 22, 2019, 08:53:45 PMI would want to deal with an established company to keep from getting stiffed

Was that pun intentional?:D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!