iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thee Homestead Life & build

Started by Sedgehammer, June 07, 2020, 02:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I'll be posting pics and stuff about our lil homestead here and as our building progresses . Please chime in with comments if you want.  

CHEERS!!

Our own Lamaness Monster..... ;D

Gettin closer to lunch time!
Necessity is the engine of drive

Sedgehammer

Fresh wild blackberries! Yummy 

thecfarm

Blackberries are still a ways off for us. Don't even have strawberries yet. Few more weeks to go. I had a real nice spot for blackberries, almost as big as you have. Than they rented the field out and the guy ran the fence down by the blackberries.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sedgehammer

We've had strawberries fir a month now, but just getting going heavier. Have both June and ever. 
The tame blackberries were just planted this spring in their beds. I saw some flowering, but won't be much this year. 

gspren

Looks neat! I'm ready to visit!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

Sedgehammer

The expensive flowers and expensive vase I got my beautiful bride!!

The flowers with a cantaloupe smoothie 

Grilled Pampano ish, err I mean fish.

farmfromkansas

Looks like life is good in Oklahoma! Keep posting.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Walnut Beast

Living good and eating good that's awesome 👍

scsmith42

Oklahoma is a great state!  My grandfather grew up near Stillwater and I still have a bunch of Rothhammer relatives in that area.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Do you pull the membrane  on the ribs?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sedgehammer

@Raider Bill Those ribs pictured were brought by a friend. They came over to swim. All my wife did was season them. I smoked for 2 hours on high smoke, then applied 1 cup of apple juice, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and about 4 TBSP of butter. Then wrapped them up in tinfoil for another hour at 325
Our ribs we raised I can't remember if they come with it on or not from the butcher, but I've never seen my wife remove any, nor has she said anything.
@scsmith42 We're transplants. I grew up in the frozen tundra. They can keep that stuff...... It's been good to us overall.

Nebraska

Raider Bill

Quote from: Sedgehammer on June 08, 2020, 04:33:40 PM
@Raider Bill Those ribs pictured were brought by a friend. They came over to swim. All my wife did was season them. I smoked for 2 hours on high smoke, then applied 1 cup of apple juice, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and about 4 TBSP of butter. Then wrapped them up in tinfoil for another hour at 325
Our ribs we raised I can't remember if they come with it on or not from the butcher, but I've never seen my wife remove any, nor has she said anything.
@scsmith42 We're transplants. I grew up in the frozen tundra. They can keep that stuff...... It's need good to us overall.
Thanks,
I like to ask about the membrane. I always do. Some never and some look at me weird when I ask.
Couple weekends ago we were in the Florida panhandle eating ribs I asked the cook who said he splices the membrane between the bones so it pulls back.
Anyway, Great place you have there!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scsmith42

Quote from: Sedgehammer on June 08, 2020, 04:33:40 PM
@scsmith42 We're transplants. I grew up in the frozen tundra. They can keep that stuff...... It's need good to us overall.
One of my employees grew up outside of Ketchikan, AK.  His first winter here I don't think that I ever saw him put on a jacket!  LOL
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Sedgehammer

Best and I mean the best chicken I've ever ate. 95 mins high smoke till the probe reached 168°. Then seared the thighs on the gas grate sear for a couple of minutes to set the skin. Turned the smoker to direct grill and to 350° for about 5 minutes for the drums. They don't sear well, as they are too round. 
Wife marinated them in a buttermilk marinade. Then she patted them dry and applied her dry rub. WoW. I mean WoW.

Sedgehammer

Getting thre rear gate entry done to the back pasture. Hanging gates tomorrow. 

Sedgehammer

Night skys this last week.

Sedgehammer

End of day medicine. Relaxation, watching the sun go down and an ice cold one

Sedgehammer

Milking the cow for the first time. She didn't even kick 3 times..... Went pretty smoothly actually. 

Nebraska

Milking cows eh.. You sir are a glutton for punishment.   ;) Glad she was well mannered, milking cows is work no two ways about it, good luck with that project. Cow fresh homemade cream is pretty tough to beat.

Sedgehammer

It's good. Grew up milkin them 3x and even 4x. Had one of the top producing herds (4th) in the country back in the day and then worked with some of the largest dairies in the country. One's a breeze and even kinda fun. Great experience for the kiddoes. Wife is looking forward to the fresh cream. Funny thing is she won't drink milk though.  She says it's too white..... ???
Going to build a little milk barn sometime this summer or at least planning on it. Also they can go in there during storms and really cold weather.

Walnut Beast

Nebraska

You know it's an addiction sorta like sawmilling....

Thank You Sponsors!