iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Cherry

Started by scleigh, March 09, 2014, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

I sawed 2 Cherry logs for a wood worker this weekend. Made several 2 and 3 inch slabs. This tree had more heartwood than the one I posted pics of last week......and was not near as crooked.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

With the curve....that would make a nice head board on a bed.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Magicman

It is always amazing what we find inside of a log, and the treat is always ours.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Here you go again taunting me with pics of cherry  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

I was partial to erc but, am really starting to like cherry.

I was excited for the gentleman that brought the logs to be milled, they just had such a nice color.

I haven't been sawing for others long at all so it was a satisfying experience to have nice wood and a pleased customer.

Dave Shepard

That log looks like a pretty straight one, as far as cherry goes. :D The insides look even better.

WDH, not much cherry down your way? I get a little bit to saw once in a while. This was half of the last whack I cut:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Dave,

It is harder for me to get nice cherry logs than most any other species.  We abound in oak with many species of red oak in particular.  Walnut and cherry are much more scarce. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

So sorry to hear that WDH. :(  Anytime you are feeling sad about your lack of walnut and cherry, you can come by my farm and pet my tall straight walnut and cherry trees (for a small fee, of course). If you are really nice you can touch the 20 foot to the first branch red cedars. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Don't turn your back. 

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dave Shepard

Cherry isn't too hard to come by here. Ours is usually in the medium range as far as straightness is concerned, but we do get a few gun barrels from time to time. Seldom any of the really big diameter stuff like I've heard about in PA. Although I do know of a couple of 30" dbh and 50' to the first branch trees that are gun barrel straight and probably veneer butts. :o

There is walnut around, but I don't hear about too much of it being cut. I've personally only sawn two walnut logs. All 2" slabs:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

I am with WDH nice cherry are hard to come by

enjoy the nice cherry ;) These were salvaged from an orchard :-\
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

Dave........

Wow!

Backwoods, no cherry orchards here, just peaches and pecans ( smiley_devil). 

Peter Drouin

WDH

I cut some on Monday, cherry, gray Birch, Red oak and white pine.

And they wanted the slabs too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

That is beautifully prepared lumber.

Dave Shepard

You should get some super sacks and have them take the sawdust, too. :D

mesquite buckeye

And a recording of the sawmill running so they can save the noise. ;D

hunz

All of this cherry and walnut picture talk is making my mill upset it hasn't eatin any yet. Maybe soon!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

WDH

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2014, 07:56:29 AM
That is beautifully prepared lumber.

I don't know about that but it keeps it together when it slides off the forks  :D :D :D Ice on forks is not good  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Gary Birch?? Mine MIGHT get 6 inches.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Who is this Gary Birch of whom you speak? ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Thank You Sponsors!