iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1 Cut per Log --- Over $100 per Hour !!!

Started by DR Buck, October 05, 2015, 08:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Started a sawing job this evening and will finish tomorrow.   This is one of those rare jobs I do that I couldn't price at a board foot rate, so I quoted $300 fixed price.    Customer has 35  12 foot  10" diameter cleaned, barkless, pressure treated logs.  The logs were delivered straight from the treatment plant.   They want one slice off of each log, leaving about a 5" wide flat side.  Finished 20 logs tonight in about 1½ hours.    Best part is the customer is helping with the job.     8)

Edit---  I forgot to mention, the logs were dropped at my place.   Didn't have to move the mill out of the barn.   This is a "stay at home job" too.    ;D

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

fishfighter

Extra care is needed when cutting pressure treated lumber. I think I would of went to his place to saw and left him the dust.

Kbeitz

The old stuff is bad...
I was told the stuff they use today is not so bad....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DR Buck

Quote from: fishfighter on October 05, 2015, 08:47:35 PM
Extra care is needed when cutting pressure treated lumber. I think I would of went to his place to saw and left him the dust.

I have a sawdust sucker/blower attached to the mill.    Besides, the logs were so wet there was no dust except what ever was coming out of the far end of the blower, and that was outside the barn.

4x4American

I was gonna say what'd ya call up the old goat and ask him how much to charge?? lol
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 4x4American on October 05, 2015, 09:20:53 PM
I was gonna say what'd ya call up the old goat and ask him how much to charge?? lol

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

One cut per log? Hardly enough to get the band warmed up.  Sounds like a sweet deal, easy money as long as the sawdust doesn't get where it shouldn't.  Congratulations.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bkaimwood

Hey DR Buck...sweet job...had on like that before...was SWEET, minus one nail and 2 with heavy pitch...maybe not so sweet? I was wondering about you sawdust sucker setup? I've been wanting to add one, but I'm not sure the cheapest, best way to do it...could you elaborate on your setup? I thought about using a sawdust collector setup from HF....
bk

DR Buck

Quote from: bkaimwood on October 06, 2015, 06:27:20 AM
Hey DR Buck...sweet job...had on like that before...was SWEET, minus one nail and 2 with heavy pitch...maybe not so sweet? I was wondering about you sawdust sucker setup? I've been wanting to add one, but I'm not sure the cheapest, best way to do it...could you elaborate on your setup? I thought about using a sawdust collector setup from HF....

This is Pineywoods setup.  I did the same thing, but don't have photos.  Maybe I should take a few and add them to my albums.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60773.msg894288.html#msg894288

Magicman

You beat me.  I had a similar job but I was flattening two sides.  They were being used to build a retaining wall.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 05, 2015, 08:52:29 PM
The old stuff is bad...
I was told the stuff they use today is not so bad....
I took on a job of milling 1x's out of creosote poles.  I learned quickly to do it with the wind at my back, wear a dust mask and catch the dust in a bucket.  I sacked up the captured dust and it made its way to the land fill.  If I ever mill any more, I want it to be at their place, for them to clean up. The cost of the next job will also include the cost a pair of overalls and shirt because of the smell.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Creosote will also build up on the blade.  My standard answer is NO
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Quote from: Magicman on October 06, 2015, 08:29:52 AM
Creosote will also build up on the blade.  My standard answer is NO.
That is a good answer MM.  I remember having to wire brush the blades and wipe them down with gas to clean them.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

deadfall

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

DR Buck

Thank You Sponsors!