iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK energy chain problem

Started by DPatton, September 02, 2019, 10:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

a couple weeks ago I rolled a huge EWP log off the back side of my TK 1600. Shortly after that I noticed that my energy chain had come apart and was no longer properly rolling in its track. With traveling saw jobs to do in the near future I had to bite the bullet and get something done about it quick. I took a few photos and sent an email to Matt at TK asking what I needed to do to fix it. 

Matt forwarded the email to their service tech department and Mike emailed me right back with the good news that there didn't appear to be anything broken. He also included information on how to repair it including a short video on how to disassemble and reassembled the pieces. My first impression was that it just couldn't be that easy. But I took his information and started the process of disassembling enough of the chain to give me the flex needed to snap the roller links back together and reassemble the cross members according to his instructions. I'm very pleased to say that it was really pretty simple and easy to fix. I put it through the test this past weekend on three custom saw jobs and it worked flawlessly. Thanks Mike, Matt, and all of those within the TK organization who go the extra mile to keep my machine operating smoothly. You have always left me with no doubt that I purchased the right mill for me.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

doc henderson

I did the same a few years back, and they sent me parts, and after getting up the learning curve, got it all fixed and had a few parts left over for the next potential incident.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

It looks similar to that on my LT40. Yes it is not that hard to put back together once you understand how.  

I would usually clean packed sawdust out with a screwdriver when it is apart. 

Mine usually comes apart when I use the mill below freezing after a rain.  

Very important to watch chain carefully when making the first head movements, give any sticking links a bump with a hammer to unstick them before the chain comes apart. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DPatton

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 03, 2019, 09:07:36 AM
It looks similar to that on my LT40. Yes it is not that hard to put back together once you understand how.  

I would usually clean packed sawdust out with a screwdriver when it is apart.

Mine usually comes apart when I use the mill below freezing after a rain.  

Very important to watch chain carefully when making the first head movements, give any sticking links a bump with a hammer to unstick them before the chain comes apart.
Agreed on the cleaning the packed sawdust from the hoses and wires, also out of the connector links, but I used the garden hose to clean em cause it was 85° outside when I did it. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Larry

I did the exact same thing to my track last winter.  In the middle of a job.  Took about 3 hours lifting, prying, clamping, and hitting with a dead blow hammer to get it back together.  It was a struggle, but I guess I did good because its stayed together.

I would like to view the video.  Is there anyplace to view it?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DPatton

Quote from: Larry on September 03, 2019, 08:41:30 PM
I did the exact same thing to my track last winter.  In the middle of a job.  Took about 3 hours lifting, prying, clamping, and hitting with a dead blow hammer to get it back together.  It was a struggle, but I guess I did good because its stayed together.

I would like to view the video.  Is there anyplace to view it?
Larry,
I thing you can just google Igus repair video and you will get several videos on how to disassemble and reassemble the chain. I found it to be pretty simple, just got to be in the right mindset and take apart enuf of it to get the pieces back together.

D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!