Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

When we were looking at the last oak I happened across a good oak field guide;
https://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/technology/pdfs/fieldguide.pdf

caveman

Tree of the day for 6/14.  Most will recognize this one but an invasive insect is killing this species.
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

The cones look like the hemlock we had back in NY state.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

When you run out of TOTD locally, let me know. 

I can go for a wander around town and find some head scratchers for you all. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

Ian, I am sure there are some trees down there that would stump us all.

Ijohnsaw, you got it.   Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis).  The hemlock wooly adelgid has wiped out a considerable amount of these trees in the east.  Biological controls include an introduced, black lady beetle from Japan that feeds on the adelgid. 
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: caveman on June 14, 2019, 07:37:42 AMThe hemlock wooly adelgid has wiped out a considerable amount of these trees in the east.

That is really sad to hear.  We had them as sort of a fence row between houses where I grew up in upper Westchester county.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

I tried to grow hemlock here, but they wouldn't grow.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Today's tree of the day is brought to you by Don P.  

Caveman

WDH

Those branches look whorly and the fasicles five-ish.  Cones probably have a glandular tip, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Back in the day the King claimed a bunch of them for ship masts and would have a representative carve a symbol into the tree. I have actually seen the remains of one of those symbols on a living tree. 

One can also say it is a very "naughty" wood.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

One of my favorite pines.  My absolute favorite one was a big one in my grandmas yard.  It was a great climbing tree because of the way the limbs grow like wagon wheel spokes.  Unfortunately a tornado took it down in 2003.  Some of its descendants grow on our land now, but they're small.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

need to put a strobe light on this so I can see it
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

hacknchop

referred to as the Giants of forest on account of their being head and shoulders above all other trees in our neck of the woods and here in Canada still owned by the Queen of England.
Often wrong never indoubt

Andries

In NW Ontario, this tree is the preferred nesting spot for Bald Eagles.
So, as @hacknchop has said; it's like the Queen's tree is receiving Donald Trump as a guest.
:D   ;D   :D  
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

hacknchop

Often wrong never indoubt

btulloh

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 15, 2019, 08:37:39 AM
One of my favorite pines.  My absolute favorite one was a big one in my grandmas yard.  It was a great climbing tree because of the way the limbs grow like wagon wheel spokes.  Unfortunately a tornado took it down in 2003.  Some of its descendants grow on our land now, but they're small.

You can't fall out of one. The pitch won't let you.
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Where is everyone?  I need closure.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

WDH

The 5 needles to the fascicle make it a white pine.  Pitch pine has 3 needles to the fascicle and it is a yellow pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

I think it's a white pine. Climbing one would get you pretty sticky. I didn't mean to throw a curve ball in there. Better wait for confirmation. My track record is not that good.
HM126

WDH

firefighter ontheside

I was sure that it was white pine.  I just wanted to hear it from caveman.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

HM126

thecfarm

I had a bunch of big ones of those pines. Some very nice ones,some not so nice ones. Some made some very nice logs. I had some that was 36 inches across. That was a normal size. No big deal. Had some that even went up to 4 feet across and than about 8 feet crotched out 3 times. :o I had a few trees that went well over 50 inches. Those was the ones the truck diver loader had a hard time with.Someone had to keep the mill supplied with pallet grade.  :D  Those big ones took a while to limb out. My Father and me would cut a "road" for the big ones to fall into. No sense in smashing down trees 6-8 inches across.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Love these pines, the needles are so soft compared to the others.  And they grow SO fast! Some day I might get to mill one, but I love the ones on the property and they are strong and straight and too few. The ones that could come down are not 'milling material'. stunted, curved, and lots of side branches. Lovely tree though.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!