iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It is FF Members that make the difference

Started by Carson-saws, July 31, 2016, 07:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carson-saws

Did not know how many may be aware but I thought I would share some numbers with you.  It is Men and Women in this venue that can, will and are making a difference.  Sawyers, be it portable or stationary yet not "big industry" are the folks that can bring awareness and show just how much "higher value" in the Urban Sector surrounds them.

● U.S. urban areas could produce 3.8 billion board feet of lumber annually ● Which is nearly 30% of annual national hardwood consumption ● 6.8% of U.S. municipal solid waste is from urban trees1 
A 2003 report issued by the USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, estimated that in 2002, urban wood residues in the municipal solid waste stream totaled 14.8 million metric tons which is  greater than the total estimated weight of timber harvested from U.S. National Forests during this same time period.2 
About 8.5 million metric tons were recovered, mainly for compost and mulch. Of the remaining 6.3 million metric tons: 
  1.5 million were sent to combustion facilities   1.6 million were deemed unusable 
Leaving  3.2 million metric tons were available for further processing - "good wood"  seeking a market.   
An urban forest assessment (i-Tree Eco) was done of the Chicago metropolitan region in 2010.  The assessment included tree grade, volume and accessibility for harvest.  Only accessible, marketable size and quality logs were measured on 1400 sample plots: 
• 88% of available commercial lumber species.  • 51% are  high-value red and white oak species • Throughout the region, 806 million board feet are available • 8 million board feet could be available annually3 
Demand Side: 
● Demand for 'green builiding' a.k.a LEED Certification has soared4

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

coxy

things that make you go hmmm  thanks for sharing

timberlinetree

I've seen a lot of nice logs cut up for firewood,  mostly because of location. Seen a lot cut up too durning removel due to the fact the tree has to be removed in pices. Hey not everyone can afford a crane. We try to keep everything that is a log if we can.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!