iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom welded steel base for small bandsaw mill

Started by Permaculturist, April 05, 2014, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Permaculturist

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.  We're getting more snow/rain today, so I'm spending more time specing out my new sawmill.  At this point I am looking at SMG Champion.  I figure I can buy their Econo 13S mill without the base, and save money by building my own 20 foot long 2"x6"x.125" base on concrete posts. 

I am looking for ideas for the base.  I'm thinking of keeping the log bunks independent of the tracks so there is no chance of anything moving out of alignment over time from bouncing heavy logs on the deck.  I'd also like to add the best log dogging setup, and a hydraulic jack toe board.  I will be using this sawmill as an edger too so I need the right dogs for securely holding lots of boards together while I edge them.

If anyone has pictures of their custom sawmill base, I'd like to see them.

d

thecfarm

I just posted about my Thomas in another thread. My bunks are independent of my track. I can move them anywheres I want,I can cut a piece about 2 feet long,if I wanted too.

Click on to my gallery icon under my user name and go to my gallery. I have bunches of pictures from past post.
Hard to see what is really going on with pictures and the typed word.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

PC, what does the champion mill carriage ride on, angle iron.?? You say your going to have a stationary mill well supported, why not build it on timbers and screw the metal track to it. For many years circular mills were built on timbers and they had much more weight to contend with. I 'am not up to speed on the picture thing. I made a screw type clamp with the acme thread rod leveling jacks used under metal staging. I cut one of the nuts in half, welded it on the back of a handle, I can slide the clamp into the wood drop the nut into the thread and give the crank a turn or two to lock it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 06, 2014, 09:23:43 PM
PC, what does the champion mill carriage ride on, angle iron.?? You say your going to have a stationary mill well supported, why not build it on timbers and screw the metal track to it. For many years circular mills were built on timbers and they had much more weight to contend with. I 'am not up to speed on the picture thing. I made a screw type clamp with the acme thread rod leveling jacks used under metal staging. I cut one of the nuts in half, welded it on the back of a handle, I can slide the clamp into the wood drop the nut into the thread and give the crank a turn or two to lock it. Frank C.

??

Please figure out the picture thing :D  I can't quite "picture" it, but this sounds interesting.
Thanks
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

I'm figuring if you are building a base, why not build an edger, one less option to worry about, and make the saw do what it is intended for,   I edge on the mill, but it is way slower, really,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Permaculturist

Quote from: drobertson on April 06, 2014, 09:38:09 PM
I'm figuring if you are building a base, why not build an edger, one less option to worry about, and make the saw do what it is intended for,   I edge on the mill, but it is way slower, really,

Yes, an edger is on the to do list too.  One machine at a time ;-)

Permaculturist

Quote from: thecfarm on April 05, 2014, 01:39:15 PM
I just posted about my Thomas in another thread. My bunks are independent of my track. I can move them anywheres I want,I can cut a piece about 2 feet long,if I wanted too.

Click on to my gallery icon under my user name and go to my gallery. I have bunches of pictures from past post.
Hard to see what is really going on with pictures and the typed word.

I like the idea of movable bunks, but yours attach to your rails.  I'd like to have my bunks attached to the cement posts but not touching the rails, so no mater what I bounce around on the deck I'm never going to worry about throwing something out of alignment.

Permaculturist

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 06, 2014, 09:23:43 PM

Yes, the SMG rides on angle iron.  I was thinking of using timers for the frame, but I have none that are dried, I am concerned with them twisting or warping as they dry if I work with green wood.

Wouldn't mind seeing that clamp you made.  Adding pics here is a bit of a chore, but feel free to email em to me if you're feeling ambitious ;-)

permaculturist@outlook.com

Thank You Sponsors!