iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to find timber strength values on red pine

Started by Kelvin, October 12, 2004, 09:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I'm building a timber frame home with mostly red pine beams.  Would red pine be real similar to white pine in strength all things being equal?  Some literature makes catagories of "pine" "spruce" and "doug fir", which i would all call pine.  My local building inspector wants numbers on my timbers for spans, and i'm also interested in not having bendy floors.  Can i use the white pine numbers?  What do you think?  Thanks for any help
Kelvin

beenthere

You can get relative strength values for white pine and red pine from Chapter 4 of the wood handbook, found under Information (above), Link Directory.  These are clear wood values.
The actual strength of the timber will depend on the grade of the timber. Knot locations and other grading characteristics, including density (rings per inch), and any indication of decay. Sawing can also have an affect on the strength, if the original tree was not straight, as the sawlines may run across the grain. Another characteristic is angle of the grain within the annual ring. This one is tough to decipher, but is usually done on a tangential face with a scribe.

You could do some of your own evaluation of each piece to learn what the elastic properties are, just by supporting the ends of the timber, and hanging weights as you measure the deflection. Not sure the specifics, but it is a fairly simple way to determine how limber the timbers will be.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!