iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Juniper cookies

Started by Quebecnewf, April 25, 2024, 05:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Cookies made with the CNC . These are eastern larch 
IMG_0635.jpeg

With a birch insert . They really do make great end grain cutting boards . 

Quebecnewf 

Old Greenhorn

Beautiful cookies QN! Barely any checking at all and that ain't easy. 
 So give us some details: Are these kiln dried? what finish did you use? What is the insert for? I see they are each different so I am wondering if they have different purposes? Does that insert go all the way through or is it just a face insert? I think I see a black border between the insert and the cookie, is that epoxy?
 Really nice wood and neat engraving.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Quebecnewf

They are dried in my heated loft . They dry really easy and fast . They all split . Birch will sometimes dry without splitting but eastern larch splits . 
The birch insert goes  all the way through . That's where the split was . It's glued in with epoxy . They are then sanded smooth and I use butcher block oil to seal them . They are made to be used as cutting boards but many people just display them . That being said they are a high grade end grain cutting board . The resin in eastern larch is antibacterial so that is a good selling point . I've sold quite a few . 

Quebecnewf 

Andries

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 25, 2024, 10:03:57 AM..... They all split . . .
The birch insert goes all the way through . That's where the split was . . . . 
Great solution to the universal problem; what to do with the crack/split?
Beautiful work, gorgeous wood, and top end craftsmanship.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!