iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HOW TO FIGURE TIMBER REMOVED FROM PROPERTY BY THE

Started by OPEND, July 17, 2002, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OPEND

I HAD 222 PINE AND 149 HARD WOOD TREES REMOVED FROM MY PROPERTY BY A LOGGER . I WANT TO FIGURE OUT THE AMOUNT OF TIMBER MISSING AND IT'S WORTH. I HAVE ALL THE STUMP MEASUREMENTS. CAN YOU HELP ME?

Bro. Noble

One way to go about this would be to guess what the DBH would be by using the stump measurment and a comparison with nearby standing trees of the same species and similiar size.  Then use a scale to get bdft volume.

It would have been much more accurate and simple to have done this before the trees were cut.

Reading between the lines,  I get the feeling that you didn't know the trees were going to be cut.  If that's the case, you probably need to hire a professional forester to appraise the missing trees.  He would have more credibility legally.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Scott

There are tables such as the USDA-Forest Service , Lake States Forest Experiment Station Technical Note #507 which provides a Diameter at Breast Height (dbh) stump diameter relationship.

Stump diameters are measured at 12" above ground level for sawtimber and 6" above ground level for smaller trees.

Sample trees can be measured from a nearby simliar stand for the height measurements. Identify the different species as timber values vary between species.

Is this a timber trespass? If so have a certified professional forester do the damage appraisal as previously stated.

It is best to have the trees paid for in advance of cutting (lump sum sale). The landowner should know the volume to be cut and receive payment in advance.

If a scaled sale where you are paid on scale get some down payments in advance to cover the estimated amount of cutting until final scale figures are received.

Also, always require a performance bond.

~Ron

Texas Ranger

It would help to know where you are located.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Frank_Pender

Opend,  I did such an evaluation for a fella out here in Oregon, a few years ago.  His neighbor that the trees were limiting the production of his rye grass.   He therefore felt he was more entitled to the Sun that the tree owner and felled the tree.  The rye grass farmer not only fell the trees but removed them and sold them for firewood.  Here in Oregon there is a triple damage law and all additional costs involved.  The total value of the trees exceded $5,000 and was actually theft. ;D  I too suggest that a "professional forester" be contacted to inhance the valadation of the volume of removed trees.  the besto of luck in your litagation. :P
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

I was in court just a couple weeks ago as "expert" witness in a tree cutting case. Just completed report on another one and have recently been called to appraise two more.

Such cases do take up a lot of time, especially when they go to court. One has been going on for over 3 years. I hope it is now ending in resolution by the judge, at least the need for my services.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!