iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have any of you 550XP owners removed your winter plug?

Started by Fred Bryant, January 11, 2015, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Bryant

I pushed, prodded, and pried to the point I thought I was going to break things to no avail. The saw seemed to handle the cold with it in, at least better than I did. It was a low altitude, light cutting day though. Any tricks to removing the thing?

Thx's, Fred ( who is currently defrosting ).

HolmenTree

Fred the plug is partially pre cut so it should push out with a screwdriver as I have done with mine.
You may have to get it started with a sharp knife.
When popped out you're left with a clean edged hole but when summer comes you'll have to install the factory rubber plug part #503 40 59-01 to block it off.
So you'll have to see your dealer to get the pre heater winter kit which BTW comes with the saw here in Canada. Good instructions with the kit how to remove the top cover plug. Also comes with a blue colored cover part #522 98 66-01 for the rewind housing.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

brendonv

I was tempted to push the plug with my 562. Im scared ill forget to switch it come spring, and our temps are usually all over the place so im tempted to toss the kit.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

HolmenTree

Really no danger from over heating in summer if the hole is left open, more danger if the rewind housing cover is left on.

The swinging door that closed the hole on my Stihl 066 was open half the time from vibration and on a hot summer day I never had any problems.

brendonv

I certainly remeber the blue cover. So by popping that plug im guessing your letting warm air leach to a new spot on the saw?  Im neew to this.

So technically if i left the plug open its not a big deal.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

HolmenTree

The hole in the air box partition allows cylinder heat to come back into the airbox housing to keep the carb warm to prevent icing up conditions from snow and cold air.
I don't recommend leaving it open in summer but then I don't know how hot your summers are and how dusty your conditions are.

Fred Bryant

Thank's, HolmenTree.

Question: Maybe my brain is turning this around, but I assume the plug is just the center section and not the whole circular boss. Also, I assume the plug pushes from the Carb to Cylinder side of the partition to come out.

If I am wrong, it will not be the first time I have gotten things backwards.

Thx's, Fred.

HolmenTree

If I remember correctly the circular boss is the breakout.
Yes rubber plug is pushed in toward cylinder. You don't have to remove whole top cover, only air filter.

Thank You Sponsors!