iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Local Photo trip on Bluestone Lake

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 11, 2018, 08:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My wife and her young mentee were bored and looking for things to photograph so I suggested taking the boat out on our local COE lake. We saw 10-12 Ospreys, 4-5 immature bald eagles, one mature eagle, lots of blue and several white herons and a family of little green herons. Here are some of what my wife got.

Osprey carrying a fish -looks like a white or hybrid bass

One of the many Great Blue herons we saw

A young bald eagle - may be this years hatch

Canada Geese getting up off the water

Little Green heron eating a crayfish - I love these guys. Act like grumpy old men

Dragonfly
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Roxie

I like them all, but the geese taking off is frame worthy.  :o
Say when

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

WV Sawmiller

One we could not get and I had never seen before was one of the young eagles flew off his roost (You can always tell when birds are fixing to fly because they poop just before they fly to lighten the load) then an osprey started chasing him. I saw an eagle crash into an osprey and steal his fish a few years ago. In this case the osprey was being the bully - if it had been an older eagle I think he'd have behaved. 

One picture my wife and Norman did get was when the young eagle flew the dead limb he had been sitting on broke. They each got pictures of the limb falling beneath him. I have seen adult eagles come in to land and have the limb break and fall causing them to scramble for a new perch. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I saw a gray squirrel fall out of a tree this morning. I just happened to be looking that way. Took the squirrel a few seconds to catch his breath when he hit the ground. But they can jump off the top of the light pole and hit the ground running. But I guess that is planned.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

We watched and photographed a mink come to the water's edge, dive in and come up a minute or so later with a huge crayfish in his mouth. The mink ran up a log and the crayfish had his claws open and grabbed a grapevine and nearly jerked the mink off the log. They did a tug of war for a while with the crayfish literally hanging on for dear life. The mink finally pulled him free and took him home for dinner.

There are plenty of neat things out there to see if you spend enough time in the outdoors and just keep watching.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Thank You Sponsors!