iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this elderberry?

Started by LeeB, July 13, 2020, 04:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

There are pics here of two different bush/trees. Are either one elderberry?

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sprucebunny

I think elderberry has a flatter flower form.

Some of these are ( I think ? ) elderberry and some rasberry and blackberry.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WV Sawmiller

Looks almost like Tree of Heaven - Allanthus. How big is the trunk?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 13, 2020, 07:39:13 PMLooks almost like Tree of Heaven

That's what I'm seeing.  If so, it's going to be a good seed year, which is not a good thing.  If it is TOH, cut them down before the seed pods mature and spread misery.  Better to burn them, or put them in the trash.  Don't want that kind of propagation from a TOH.  Highly invasive species.
HM126

sprucebunny

This red elderberry does have a similar clumpy/cone shape flower form.
Red Elderberry, Sambucus racemosa | Native Plants PNW

So I don't know what is in my picture which is why I've never eaten it !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

It is sumac.  Genus Rhus.

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Could be shining sumac or smooth sumac.  There is a staghorn sumac and a poison sumac.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

There's a drink I remember from, awhile ago  :D Just googled rhusaide and up it popped, if its staghorn its very distinctive when ripe;
https://healthstartsinthekitchen.com/sumac-ade-a-natural-alternative-to-kool-aid/

Neat, it is also an antimicrobial veggie wash, cool.

mike_belben

Pretty confident i have fruiting staghorns right now but id like some confirmation before i overdose on poison sumac lemonade.  Im quite allergic to urushiol.
Praise The Lord

WDH

Yes Sir.  I am in your camp.  Leaflets look toothed.  That is good.  Poison sumac leaflets are entire (not toothed). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Yup, that's it.
Read that link above carefully, you might not be out of the woods with it.

mike_belben

You mean the link about using it on my hemorrhoid?  Better make darn sure its the right sumac for that!

Cause of death: 

poison sumac suppository.
Praise The Lord

WDH

Just leave it alone and let the birds and foxes have it. 

nativewolf

Mike that's sumac and you should be fine making a tea but as with anything go slow.  Poison sumac is actually pretty darn rare and a wetland species.  When I was doing dendrology tests for entry foresters I used to have to really search for the stuff in the Piedmont of NC.  

Even then as WDH says the Poison Sumac leaf is smooth like the evil cousins.  Another pretty unusual one is poison oak, which very few people have seen and recognized- they will just assume it is an oak seedling and then point to a poison ivy on the ground and say that is poison oak.  

Poison Sumacs fruit don't stand up like that, they fall over if they were that large, more like a cluster of grapes.  Oh, and stems are bright red...like almost blood red.  

I've just driven over a cluster of elderberry, should have taken a picture.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Thx wyatt.  Is there a 5 leaf poison oak or just 3 leaf? Is all the 5 leaf stuff virginia creeper?  The internets is fulla confliction about that.
Praise The Lord

btulloh

I have seen 5 leaf poison ivy for sure.  It's usually on the ground though - don't really see the 5 leaf climbing, although I'm sure it csan.  We have plenty of PI and Va Creeper around here.  They get to be easy to tell apart when you see both all the time.  Va Creeper has a red vine with no hair, for one thing.  PI has a hairy vine - although growing on the ground it doesn't show that.  PI leaves and Va Creeper leaves are significantly different, but like a lot things, familiarity and the opportunity to see them both make a difference as far as ID goes.
HM126

nativewolf

Mike- only 3 leaves.  5 leaves is virginia creeper.  

Here is a map to show you what's growing in your area.  

https://www.poison-ivy.org/poison-ivy-overview
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Ive got them all and my eyes are sharp for it these days.  Too many rounds of steroids.

Man theres some gory stuff on that site!
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I am unfamiliar with 5 leaf PI.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

I have never seen 5 leaflet poison ivy.  Only 3. 

btulloh

I'll see if I can find some 5 leaf and put up a picture. 
HM126

thecfarm

We got busy with life and The Farm fields was growing up with bushes. We went to work with bush snippers and I bought a riding lawn mower so my Father could mow around the walls and keep the bushes at bay. Every thing tried to come back, the maple, oak, white birch, beech and sumac. All died with 2 years. My father said we grow it to death.  :D  Except for that sumac. That stuff took years to die.  ???  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

farmfromkansas

That sumac grows here in Kansas, if you spray the stuff in June with 2-4d, you can get rid of it.  Probably have to spray again next year.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!