iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil-gas mix for an old Husky

Started by hjens, January 31, 2017, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjens

I run an old 181SE Husqvarna chain saw with a 24-inch bar that I bought in Montana back in 1983. The 40:1 fuel mix recommended back then worked fine with regular gas in Montana and later in Colorado, which had a relatively dry climate. Since I lived at 9,100 feet above sea level in the Rockies, all I had to do was lean out the carb for that altitude. After moving recently to Washington state, which has more moisture and higher humidity, I had the old saw tuned up for sea level. The guy who did it told me I should switch to higher octane gas and a 32:1 fuel mixture because the old 40:1 ratio was "pre-ethanol." I know ethanol attracts water, of which there's a lot in Blaine, WA, and I have no particular aversion to using more oil or higher octane gas, but wonder what all you experts out there think? Another question: does Stabil get rid of water in the gas as well as stabilize it? I might add that friends with Stihl saws say they work fine with a 50:1 ratio, recommended for all Stihl 2-strokes, and see no reason to switch to 91-octane gas.

old guy

I run 40:1 in all my saws, the oldest being an L77 husky, but I do use non ethenal 91 gas.

Canadiana

My understanding of water accumulating in fuel is that it happens most when a nearing empty fuel tank is taken from a cold environment to a warm one. Unless this happens in extremes of temperatures and repeatedly i wouldn't concern myself with water issues JMHO.
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

thecfarm

I use the higest grade of gas I can get at my local gas station for all my small motors. I just feel they need it. Does not really cost all that much more over a year of usage. I run 40:1 in my 372 Husky and my small Efco.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Ethanol content has little if anything to do with the amount of oil required. I would stick with 91 octane (to prevent fuel system deterioration) and 40:1, have the saw tuned for your elevation which is sea level.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: hjens on January 31, 2017, 05:23:54 PM
I run an old 181SE Husqvarna chain saw with a 24-inch bar that I bought in Montana back in 1983. The 40:1 fuel mix recommended back then worked fine with regular gas in Montana and later in Colorado, which had a relatively dry climate. Since I lived at 9,100 feet above sea level in the Rockies, all I had to do was lean out the carb for that altitude. After moving recently to Washington state, which has more moisture and higher humidity, I had the old saw tuned up for sea level. The guy who did it told me I should switch to higher octane gas and a 32:1 fuel mixture because the old 40:1 ratio was "pre-ethanol." I know ethanol attracts water, of which there's a lot in Blaine, WA, and I have no particular aversion to using more oil or higher octane gas, but wonder what all you experts out there think? Another question: does Stabil get rid of water in the gas as well as stabilize it? I might add that friends with Stihl saws say they work fine with a 50:1 ratio, recommended for all Stihl 2-strokes, and see no reason to switch to 91-octane gas.

Shell gas stations here sell premium unleaded gasoline with 91 octane or better. Says no ethonal right on the pump. So I'm pretty happy to get it which I mix at 40:1 with Stihl Ultra full synthetic.
BTW the stabilizers Stihl has in their Ultra mix is all I need. Just don't leave your fuel jug sit out in the sun all day.

Back in 1983 leaded gas was still the norm. Lead offers a little more lubricity help preventing the kind of severe lean seizures we get today with unleaded.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

hjens

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like high-octane fuel without ethanol is the way to go. As for the gas:oil ratio, there's not really that much difference between 32:1 and 40:1 -- 8oz for 2 gallons or 8oz for 2-1/2 gallons -- besides a little lmore smoke.

Thank You Sponsors!