iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic model 21 massey ferguson 220 winch problems

Started by spencerhenry, June 26, 2005, 02:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

i have a massey ferguson 220 about a '74 i think. the hydraulics that run the winch leak bad, and i think i ran it out of oil. this has happened several times before. usually i can just put oil in it and it will start to work again in minutes. last winter, i couldnt get the winch to work, and so i took the hydraulic pump out, and looked at it. it is simply a plunger that rides on a lobe on the pinion gear shaft. not much to it. last winter all i did was the pump out and put it back together, and then it worked fine. dont feel like draining all the new oils again. the pump is either not pumping, or the pressure is not getting to  the lines. anybody had this problem before, any suggestions?

spencerhenry

well, i needed to get some logs moved so i took the pump out and looked at it once again. in the pump there is a ball and seat that act as a check valve. under that ball stuck in the seat were 2 small pieces of dirt. both about the size of a mouse turd. removed the turds, put it back together, and bingo, it works again. lesson learned, keep the hydraulic oil CLEAN.

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

spencerhenry

winch hydraulic system is discreet from the rest of the hydraulics, and it doesnt have a filter. :-\

beenthere

Fooled me too.  :) 

Do you have a picture?

How is the winch attached to the MF 220? and the pump driven?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

spencerhenry

i havent looked at too many other skidders, but would assume that my mf220 is pretty similiar. transmission has too outputs, one for the rear end, and one for the winch, that obviously runs all the time. the shaft enters the winch in the center and either thru gears or a chain, drives the pinon gear for the winch. the pinon gear has a lobe like a camshaft. the pump has a lifter between it and the lobe, just like motor valvetrain. the pump is very simple, just a plunger that rides up and down and is spring loaded. on the bottom of the pump there are two fittings. one inlet from the resevoir, and one that "Ts". the "T" send pressure to the winch brake, and the drum. when the skidder was younger, it also sent pressure to the brake system when the transmission was in neutral, to automatically set the brakes. the wet brakes on my machine were long since disconnected, and now i have a chevy caliper on a disc on the rear driveshaft. the pump has a ball and seat at the inlet. when the plunger in the pump is extended, it takes in oil, when it is compressed, it seats the ball, and the oil goes out the other fitting.
it is truly very simple. in original form it may have had some kind of filter, i dont know. would post pictures, but still dont own a digital camera.

Thank You Sponsors!