iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vehicle weight and towing weight limits

Started by Keith_A, April 21, 2002, 07:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith_A

::)  Does anyone know a website or book I can order that does a good job of explaining towing limits and gross vehicle weight limits?  
    One of my questions is I can go to Fords website and see that a Ford F350 dually with a fifth wheel hitch can tow up to 14,400 lbs,  but I see many gooseneck trailers rated at 20,000 pounds.  What pulls all these 20,000 lbs trailers if an F350(or similar truck) isn't rated to do this.  I know an f450/550 is rated slightly higher than the F350 but based on what I read on Fords website even these trucks are not rated for 20,000 of towing capacity.  Are Fords towing capacities just advisory?  What are the Federal legal limits?  I have done quite a few searches on the web and have found very little useful information.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. :-/

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tillaway

Pardon my spelling, I think faster than I can type. :-[
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tom

Keith

Also,  I would advise you to get GVWR information  from your DOT.  It may surprise you to find that your logic doesn't follow Theirs when it comes to how much a truck can carry or pull.

Frank_Pender

What logic, Tom.   Bureaucrats even missed Ethics and general Philosophy, is my feeling.
Frank Pender

Gordon

Vehicle weight is key, remember size rules. Also remember that bigger trucks have bigger blind spots.

CHARLIE

I don't see a "WIDE LOAD" sign on that red pickup!  If he plans to carry that dump truck down the highway, he'd best get a "WIDE LOAD" sign or he'll get a ticket. Some people just don't seem to follow the rules. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

Shoot Charlie, not only missing the wide load sign but I think that red truck is just a tad bit overloaded. Just a guess though.

But someone got in some hot water over that one. That red truck is pretty darn new looking.

Gordon

Thank You Sponsors!