iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mods to my mill, pics

Started by music_boy, January 23, 2004, 03:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

If you remember when we last saw Music Boy, he was going to winch his logs up an aluminum ramp onto his mill.  ::) Following advise from the FF cartell, he put jacks under the ramps to add support. And indeed, the strap only brought the log just to the top.

MB found that if he gave a good yank on the strap, the log would roll onto the trailer and could be moved into position on the bunk with a pevy. Using some ideas gleaned from other FF threads, Music Boy changed his log clamps to a threaded rod with a crank handle to tighten the logs into postion.(pics didn't come out Used standard thread. Little slow but tightens way nice. Will work nice too on small pieces around 3 feet.
also should allow a re-saw attachment wich MB says is in the idea stage.

MB spent about 4 hours sawing today. Cut 5 logs, including sticker wood. All were yellow poplar.(pics didn't come out >:()
MB is liken his mill 8)
Still thinkn orange ;D
MB shoulder is very tired from the crankn. ::)
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

D._Frederick

MB,
Nice pictures!    I have one question, if these are your log clamps, what do you use for squaring posts?

T_in_SC

Nice pics MB.  Looks like you're getting evreything worked out.

music_boy

D.
      On the other side are 2,    1/4x1.5 x 12" flat steel that articulate from 180 to 90 degrees. Once the cant is cut and I have it square to the bunk and the side, there are 1 " "tabs" that hold the opposite side of the clamp. Once I get some new BATTERIES for my digital, I'll take some closer pics.
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Fla._Deadheader

M-B, lookin good. 8) 8)
 A motor on that clamp would relieve that "Arm Stress". ;D ;D

Got a REAL nice Cypress log waitin to make a Geetar Top. Purty Yaller color. ;) ;) ;)  Next week ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

music_boy

FDH
    Just about got it figured on how to use my machine to resaw smaller stuff by riggin an attachment the clamps can hold , then the attachment holds the piece.
     There's  the "Northern most Bald cypress " stand just down the road from me. Wunder if the specie is the same as down there. I've seen some , they're along the road too. But they don't look real big. Maybe I'll check and see.
      I'm lookin forward to the top. Just think, wood from down there vs. wood from way up north Canada way. Can't wait to hear the difference in sound.
    BTW, I kept rememberin about the 12 volt motors someone put on their log clamps as I cranked away. I'll be investigating that soon :D :D :D :D ;D
Thanks
Rick

Corley5

Looks and sounds like you're having a good time at it too 8)  That's the main thing.  Looking good too.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

shopteacher

What about using on of those cheap port-a-powers from Harbor freight or Enco as a hydraulic clamp? Just a thought. By the way, your mill is coming along nicely.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

We sawed a chunk of Pecky and gave it to the guy that does our hauling. It was oval shaped, about 2' long, and 16" X 21" oval. We just put a board on the bunks under the chunk that the clamp would not hit, and a backer board against the log stops. Saw the backer board as you saw the chunk. ::)

First, it is ridiculed;

music_boy

FDH
     Got the idea :P Way simpler than I was thinkin. Use one on the side too? Seems the saw blade would pull to the opposite side. On my mill, that is open space.
Rick

Fla._Deadheader

If the log stops, NOT the clamps are on whatever side, does not matter, unless you have the 2 clamps, as you do. So????????  Put a board across both sides???

We went with the WM style, because it gives the same options as a 3 legged table. You really don't need 2 clamp arms ???  How will you clamp a very tapered log??? Shim in 2 or more places ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

cluckerplucker

Run your straps over the log ,under and hook at base of winch .That will roll the  log as far as you want.

cecil
cecil

music_boy

Common sense on the both sides thing.
I did a moderately tapered log today. Clamped it solid on both ends. Just had to let up on the large end to get the small end  to clamp up on the log stops. Wasn't radicle or anything. But I see what you're sayin. :P
I'm sure I'll get a better lesson when I get an "unstraight "log.
Rick

music_boy

cluker
     Gotcha :P
I can see how that would make a difference. Might try that tomorrow
Thanks
Rick

Fla._Deadheader

If ya get a curved log, sell it to CK. He ain't got none whar he lives :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Swede

"We went with the WM style, because it gives the same options as a 3 legged table."

THIS, my friends, is a degenerate of the "Amerika-Sågen style". Made in Sweden.  :D

But it just press to the ground while loading so the "Amerika-Sågen" don´t move. Other support takes up the weight from the sawmill.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

etat

Oh come on Fla.  :D It ain't that they ain't none, it's just that they ain't none I can get my hands on easy.  ;D  But too, I ain't yet took the time to put out a full fledged apb type search yet. ;D  Seems I've lost my roundtoit but I betcha ya it's out there somewhere.  The perfect crooked log! 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!