iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am building a Mill and need some help.

Started by samdland, June 03, 2004, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

I ;) ;D ;D ;D have read many hundreds of posts on  everysingle sawing and milling site on the web that I can find and have NEVER once heard anyone running car tires even remotely refer to ,or complain of a tire blowing out. ;) ;D ;D ;D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

samdland

I am confident the doughnuts would be fine.

Bruce_A

The tires were not what I was thinking about. I was actually just thinking about the hubs coming complete with bearings and brakes.  And being cheap and readily availale from a wrecking yard.

rbarshaw

I used mobile home tires and wheels, they come with a 12VDC brake!, they are 27 to 30" in diameter so also allow for a deeper cut into the log, Ie; more space between the blade and the crossbar, and are load rated for extreem load, and have a 70 PSI inflation pressure.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

ADfields

Donut tires are also rated for a "ONE" time use of 50 miles or less and not to be used a 2nd time. ;)   They have very little reinforcing in them and a ton of rubber so they wont go flat on you when never checked for years and years.   Also most tire shops won't spin balance them for you, don't comply with OSHA rules. ;)   They may work fine but they may also explode on you a year down the road. :-/
Andy

steveo_1

He He one time use??? I put about 500 miles on one of them donuts and its back in my trunk to go a second time.50 mph??? mine ran about 70 mph on I 65  a few occasions it was on the back so i wasnt too much worried if it did blow.
got wood?

Swede

Perhaps I´ve better put them Atlas Copco wheels on Amerika-Sågen and save the money for a new V-belt?  :D :D :D :D :D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

samdland

Finally got this thing done. Works better than I ever expected.

Haytrader

samdland,

Mill looks great.
You have more down pressure on the guides than I have seen before. Is there a reason? It may shorten your blade life is my only concern.

Oh, is that your toes showin? You must be luckier than I am.

:D
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Either that or he's stood a little too close to somethin  ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

samdland

No real reason for the low blade guides. I just built it that way. Ya think I should move em up?

And yes those are my toes. I built the mill in those sandles. I run it in them also.

Thank You Sponsors!