iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Braggin board

Started by urbanlumberinc, December 13, 2006, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I don't have anything worth showing, but that walnut of Reid's would be hard to beat even if I went into the woods hunting for something.

What are you planning on doing with those Ried?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

blaze83

WOW 8)

Some really cool pictures guys....keep them coming...that's whats so awesome about wood, no to logs are ever the same

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

woodmills1

this should be an all picture thread. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

I am considering entering a 12 step program for both rusty iron addiction and collecting cool wood. Actually, I sell some and use/ inventory some for my own use.

I will be posting a Mother Load of pics to establish my standing tonight.  ::)

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodbeard

This is my 12 step program.
Well, 13, actually. Call it a sawyer's dozen.  :D

Doesn't look it in the picture, but the eastern red cedar slabs are almost 8' long, and average 15" wide.

Burlkraft

Nice job Woodbeard  ;D  ;D  ;D

And that is a stairway to...... ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Here's a slab of 12/4 walnut we sawed.

Ironwood

My computer died while trying to post all the pictures. I will try when I get my computer working again (I am at a freind's house using their's to check e mail.

Well, I am back. Here are few more. Most of these are continously burled hard maple and cherry. I will post a few more soon. 

Reid
           Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

Ok, here are a few more from my cutting.

I also just cut a triple crotch walnut (free hand) it is really nice but no picture yet.       

Reid

Fla._Deadheader

Directions on how ya cut that, Por Favor, Senor.

Got one to do myself. Only lots bigger  ::) ::)  Mine has 1 side limb and the rest is where they cut the limbs off.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

Reid,

smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

Wow those are some beautiful boards.  I pass a maple tree at the state cemetary in town each day that would make burl boards like those.  I think I will introduce myself to the head grounds keeper tomorrow. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 18, 2006, 08:28:23 PM

Directions on how ya cut that, Por Favor, Senor.

Got one to do myself. Only lots bigger ::) ::) Mine has 1 side limb and the rest is where they cut the limbs off. ::)

Do you see those levels and straight edges FDH? They aren't laying there for nothing. the chalk is in his shirt pocket. Least that's how I'm going to do my big sycamore. Plumb lines will work too. Not to mention a laser line.  ;)

But wait! I CAN"T do that! I am a little guy that is impossible for me to do!  :o :D :D :D :D 

Ironwood

Senor FLDH,

1. Stare at it for 5 months in the field standing as it grew in the yard in town (this allows it to fully seat into the ground and become stable for cutting)

2. Then , begn to panic as the "cool" fall weather never came, become worried that the sapwood will stain and discolor and be ruined.

3. Realize that you really need to get this @##$ done because there is literally thousands of dollars of money that has rotted in the feild waiting for you to "get to it" in past years.

4. GET MAD. your tired of wasting that cash.

5. GET CRAZY, grab the saw.

6. GO TO YOUR QUIET PLACE in your mind and become calm as you realize the seriousness of a mistake.

7. Make sure the chain is equally sharp and balanced.

8. ENVISION a staight line were you want to cut and hold the 394 over your head with a 6' bar (your off balance on a ladder, dum idea anyway)

9. cut slowly and methodically (mantra "let the chain do the work").

10. IT WORKED!! WOW. picture's will be forthcoming.

THE LEVEL AND OIL QUART ARE FOR SCALE IN THE PICTURE. THE OLD RAIL LINE WAS SOME SCRAP LYING AROUND TO REST THE LOG ON. I EYEBALLED THIS ONE.

Reid

TexasTimbers

Well then it can be done that way too, obviously. But remember FDH, you are a mere mortal so take that into consideration.  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, ya mean I gotta stand it back up, and stand the Peterson on end  :o :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Larry

I can't even come close to competing with that there Reid fellar.  Than we have this other fellar sawing some kind of foreign red wood beyond belief...and this other CR guy that don't wanta share.

So this is my feeble entries.

Little glimpse of something going out in the morning for Christmas.

And it is all home grown.

Of course I always find this stuff delicious.

And this thread started with honey locust.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

Larry,

That is some good stuff.

I did just cut a continously burled honey locust from the Pitt Campus just over the hill from us. It is one of the branch campuses. Fortunately it was that close and I could run my forklift up the road to get the HEAVY log. I will be taking pictures of the sequential cuts soon.  The edge is really neat with it's undulating character. There is a crotch for the last 3-4' and the log is 30" wide and 12' long. Like I said HEAVY!.

NOTE the curls in the walnut slabs next to the truck.

OK, I'll stop now, SORRY this is a major pursuit for me (cool wood). I didn't start this thread just excited to share the neat stuff I have found.

Reid

Fla._Deadheader

Reid, if you don't get down here before I get back to the states, I'm gonna Have to look you up.  When we started sawing, Ed would look at me when I would drag a scruffy lookin chunk over to the mill.  He soon learned to drool all over it, just like we do.  ;) :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ironwood

FDH,

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. We have been gunning to to to CR for years and the Misses says we need a vacation and the summer is a tough time for Skeeters up north so looks like south is the direction. See ya soon!

Reid

Fla._Deadheader

Just bring it on. Wait till ya see the Ojoche Tree we gotta fall and saw.  :o :o :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

TexasTimbers

Like I said before Ried that stuff is awesome. But Larry don't hang your head that wood is gorgeous too.
I guess theoretically we must have walnuts that big down here but I haven't seen one. Hopefully one day. I do have a big sycamore I am going to slice up like that for a table top but of course I do not think syc has figuring like that.

FDH, you might consider getting with TACA (are they still in business?) and asking for a commission for all the FFers coming your way at this rate.   :)
I know you are a diver, I can't imagine you would not take a trip to Cocos. Best time is between June and November. We are going to make the trip in that window by 08 for sure and if things don't get too hairy maybe this coming Sept for the gathering of hammerheads. I think that is the prime month. Harold you have the enviable opportunity to get within a stones throw of a huge pelagic like a whale shark; Cocos is one of the best places on earth to do it with a fair amount of certainty next only to certain places off Thailand. I will never forget slowly ascending the pinnacles of Saba and a dark cloud came over me; the biggest Atlantic Ray I ever saw. It felt like I was floating in space and one of those Empire Battlecuruisers went right over me in slow motion like the opening scene in Star Wars.
The Okeanos Aggressor is pretty good I hear but it's a cattle boat and I prefer smaller boats. I am hoping you will get hooked on diving Cocos and Bat Island so by the time we get there you will already have found a nice little operation so we can avoid the cattle boats.  ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Only reason I would have to dive the ocean again, is, with the Great Whites.  :o :o

I just love to watch them things. Awesome does NOT describe them.  8) 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

TexasTimbers

Then you need to take up Abalone diving off Catalina Island or salvage exploration in the murky waters of SF bay.  They get taste-tested by GWs about every few years or so it seems. :o
Or the GBR  . . . . .  but if you don't make rendezvous you might get left behind if you are an American.  :'(

urbanlumberinc

Here's photos of a bench I've nearly got completed.  The slabs are Russian Olive, the bowties are bocote, a
nd the wedges are wal
nut.  I've still got a bit of sanin
g to do.

urbanlumberinc

The tree it came from, I posted these awhile ago

Thank You Sponsors!