iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Went from bad to worse.

Started by CTL logger, June 03, 2016, 07:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

I've known for a couple weeks my trucks head gasket was leaking sent it to the shop they tore it apart, what started as a 4000 dollar head gasket turned into an in frame overhaul. Liners were pitted and off by 2 to 5 thousandths hope to get it back on Monday.

Autocar

I use to have a 425 cat in a Autocar it had a ten speed with over drive sweet truck till it went into the shop  ::)       I had trouble with it blowing headgaskets it would even bend the push rods after the second time it turned out to be the after cooler was pluged. I switched to cummins there not so bad on your wallet. Good luck.
Bill

Ken

And people wonder why truckers need so much money to roll down the road.  At least you should have a nice working, reliable unit when its returned. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

starmac

I feel your pain.
Our cost for an inframe if we don't do it our self is now north of 30 grand.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

snowstorm

i just bought a volvo. there are a lot of things about it i like. tho i think someone put the wrong sticker on the door post. it sure dont feel like 385 hp and 1450 of tq. it handles nice very quite inside and the cab is big enought to live in. and it turns sharp. my ih takes a lot of room or back an fill. it is a set back axle. my new plow truck. this one has ground speed control for the sander. yes a computer controls it

CTL logger

This one is about 15 grand if cat dealer would've done it would have been 28k. It's also getting a new manifold and air to air cooler. Had a rental truck all week I don't think it is made for woods work but we're moving loads so I guess that's what matters.

snowstorm

this isnt a accert cat is it? i know someone that had 30 of them constant trouble

treeslayer2003

i am looking for an older truck right now. i had enough of electronic problems no one can fix.

ohiowoodchuck

That's the norm with all mechanics now. If the can't find the solution in there computer or in the book there lost. It seems all the good ones are retired or dead. We only have parts installers it seems.
Education is the best defense against the media.

starmac

Knock on wood, I have had good luck with my electronic trucks, however I have known some that were just problem after problem.
My log truck is an old b model though, and it does as well in the woods as any. I am actually in the process (slow) of building another log truck that will be running a big cam 3 in it.

sandsawmill14

starmac   b model ??? mack ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on June 04, 2016, 11:26:31 AM
That's the norm with all mechanics now. If the can't find the solution in there computer or in the book there lost. It seems all the good ones are retired or dead. We only have parts installers it seems.
i herd that. only reason i call a "mechanic" is cuz i can't diagnose the issues with these new engines.....they can't either lol.
95 ford n14, strong as hell when it runs. i rather have an old ntc 350, it run or blow up and i can rebuild it. the fuel milage ain't woth the head ach.

starmac

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 04, 2016, 03:58:47 PM

3406 b model cat, though I have put a little time in the old b model macks. lol

BargeMonkey

Nothing cheap about a newer Cat to fix. 1 thing I will say about Cat is they will sell you software to talk to the computer, ask deere for the ability to talk to a H-J-K series dozer and see where you get. I just bought a newer Mack that's built just before the DEF crap. We have then from a 3126, C-10, C-12, and C-15 and have had pretty good luck but when they go down they aren't cheap. I assume you had a 15 in this truck ?

barbender

My boss has around 20 Pete's hauling wood, always ran Cat, went to ISX Cummins when Cat quit building truck engines. He doesn't own any DEF trucks, the last 5 or so new trucks have been gliders that got rebuilt C15's. Those have been working out quite well. He plan's on sticking with the glider route until Cat re-enters the truck engine market as Cat guys tell him they will be.
Too many irons in the fire

sandsawmill14

Quote from: starmac on June 04, 2016, 08:18:05 PM
Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 04, 2016, 03:58:47 PM

3406 b model cat, though I have put a little time in the old b model macks. lol

:D :D :D  never drove a b model but spent a lot of time in the early '70s  r model and the old dm  ;D

Logger RK

Years ago my Brother had a B 62 (or 52?)Mack we hauled some pulp with. That probably made me want to stay in the woods rather then the Truck. I have a R model now just to move Eq.

sandsawmill14

that old r model i used to drive had the 237 engine with the triplex transmission i was hauling feed/fertilizer so was off the road about half the time that thing would pull mount everest if you could get it loaded :o at a top speed of about 3 miles an hour of course :D :D :D it was not uncommon to pull the front wheels off the ground trying to start off when fully loaded in plowed ground and the biggest load i ever weighed across our scales ( NOT dot ) was 110,000 i was only going about 10 mile from the plant so we always loaded what would lay on it instead of what it should haul this was all going on around 1990 or '91 now im pretty sure you would end up in jail for trucking how we did back then ::) even with the little 237 engine i never ever had it to choke out but i had plenty of gears ;D

sorry guys i got us of topic but at least its not food (yet ;D) :D :D :D

CTL logger

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 04, 2016, 11:53:02 PM
Nothing cheap about a newer Cat to fix. 1 thing I will say about Cat is they will sell you software to talk to the computer, ask deere for the ability to talk to a H-J-K series dozer and see where you get. I just bought a newer Mack that's built just before the DEF crap. We have then from a 3126, C-10, C-12, and C-15 and have had pretty good luck but when they go down they aren't cheap. I assume you had a 15 in this truck ?

Yes it's a 06 C15 it has 600k miles on it so it's not like it's new. First time in 16 years of owning trucks I had to rebuild an engine. When it done it should be good for a long time, I've only ever owned cat in trucks they've all held up well.

enigmaT120

Last Sunday I was riding my motorcycle down highway 99 to Corvallis for the vintage motorcycle show (mine is vintage but I didn't enter it in the show) and coming the other way were a bunch of old trucks, mostly log trucks.  Some were on trailers or big flat beds but the first one I saw was cruising right along.  I don't know anything about them or how to know how old they were, but they were old.  I almost turned around and followed them, I guess there was a show in Salem or somewhere. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Maine logger88

Are you doing a gold or platinum kit? I'm pulling the head off a 05 acert C15 in the morning. This ones pushing coolent like crazy should be interesting...
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

CTL logger

Quote from: Maine logger88 on June 05, 2016, 12:19:59 PM
Are you doing a gold or platinum kit? I'm pulling the head off a 05 acert C15 in the morning. This ones pushing coolent like crazy should be interesting...
Gold kit some of the parts in the platinum kit we just replaced  like water pump and a few other parts. Mine was pushing coolant out the overflow pretty good, the 3rd 4th and 5th cylinder gasket was bad and the liner potrusion was bad enough to go with the overhaul. Should be good for 700 thousand more miles....
I hope.

Maine logger88

Makes sense no point in the platinum if you head injectors water and oil pump are all good. It seems like a fair amount of the time a head gasket goes on a cat it's due to liner protrusion. You gonna cut all 6 counter bores or just the ones that need it? The one I'm pulling apart tomorrow was run low on coolent and severely overheated I'm curious to see what it looks like inside.

CTL logger

Quote from: Maine logger88 on June 05, 2016, 06:02:27 PM
Makes sense no point in the platinum if you head injectors water and oil pump are all good. It seems like a fair amount of the time a head gasket goes on a cat it's due to liner protrusion. You gonna cut all 6 counter bores or just the ones that need it? The one I'm pulling apart tomorrow was run low on coolent and severely overheated I'm curious to see what it looks like inside.

Doing all 6 so we don't need to go do the other 3 down the road the head has 60 thousand miles on it, they machined it due to the liners beating it up a bit. Hope yours goes well. It amazes me that a head and the complete  overhaul take the same amount of time labor wise 40 hrs. I'm just hoping the penske rental makes it a couple more days, it wasn't really designed for this type of hauling or maybe I should say 6.5 miles of woods rd.

Maine logger88

Yeah that's good some just like to do the ones that are bad but I think it's good to do them all so there the same. Those cat kits save a lot of time in labor with the Pistons all packed in the liners. Parts Clean up almost takes the most time. Ya probably shouldn't show them a picture of where there highway truck is lol!

Thank You Sponsors!