iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A bad day that could have been worse

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 25, 2017, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This pic was sent to me from Law Enforcement. Its was a head on collision this morning.
There were injuries but no deaths at the time I received this pic.

Tools in the back of your truck can be a serious projectile during a "sudden" stop.
This guy was lucky.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

I had a 68 fastback green Mustang, yes a Bullitt.  Put the backseat down so I could haul my surfboard.  A few minutes later I got rear ended while sitting in a traffic jam.  The surfboard went right through the front window below the rear view mirror.  Neither I or my GF got a scratch.  Not quite a "sudden stop" but maybe one could call it a sudden start. :o

My surfboard should have been in a carrier on top of the car.  When I worked for the phone company it was a serious safety violation having anything unsecured in the cab.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TKehl

Wow!  That could have hurt!

I helped my brother right his truck when he laid it over on it's side on night.  There were chains and boomers on the floorboard that gravity moved, but what turned him white was the hatchet that had been on the passenger floorboard that he found on the ground where the drivers window was.   :o  He's more careful now, usually.   ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

newoodguy78

Wow that could've gotten ugly in a bad way  :o

47sawdust

Hey Larry,
When is the surf up in Arkansas? :D :D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

TKehl

It's a short trip to surf the waves of grain in Kansas.   :D :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

Years ago I came home in a jeep wrangler with a 570 lb anvil
In behind the back seat. I had to drive around 100 miles.
I sweated all the way home just watching and waiting for
someone to pull out in front of me.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

When I was a senior in HS we were fund raising for our class selling Krispy Kreme donuts and since we had a 59 Ford Station wagon I was volunteered to go get them. We drove to Pensacola (40 miles away) and lowered the back seats and loaded 500 dozen donuts in the back the back. as I pulled out at 0400 in the morning some guy cut me off and I had to slam on the brakes. The 3 of us in the front seat were buried in a donut slide and had to eat our way out. Does that count?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OH logger

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 26, 2017, 07:00:13 PM
   When I was a senior in HS we were fund raising for our class selling Krispy Kreme donuts and since we had a 59 Ford Station wagon I was volunteered to go get them. We drove to Pensacola (40 miles away) and lowered the back seats and loaded 500 dozen donuts in the back the back. as I pulled out at 0400 in the morning some guy cut me off and I had to slam on the brakes. The 3 of us in the front seat were buried in a donut slide and had to eat our way out. Does that count?

lucky duck!! why you gotta rub it in?!?!?  man I'm getting hungry :)
john

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

paul case

I was sure he was gona tell how he got pulled over and the cop asks''Do you know why I stopped you?''
WV just says yeah for whats in the back! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Deese

My Grandfather about a log truck accident where the log(s) came through the back of the cab and crushed he driver.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Another story he told me--
A man was in a tree, topping it out with a chainsaw. I don't remember the details but the butt of a big limb hit him in the chest, pinning him against the tree, killing him. My granddaddy climbed the tree, threw a rope over the above limb, and tied it around the man's waist. They removed the limb and lowered the man down.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Delawhere Jack

A guy working for my dad was driving a panel truck (1960's name for a cargo van), full of sheet rock. He stopped quickly at a redlight. The load slid forward hitting the back of the drivers seat, and pushed him over the steering wheel and into the windshield. The windshield popped out intact, and he followed it out of the van. They tell me he didn't even get scratched.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on May 01, 2017, 06:52:13 PM
A guy working for my dad was driving a panel truck (1960's name for a cargo van), full of sheet rock. He stopped quickly at a redlight. The load slid forward hitting the back of the drivers seat, and pushed him over the steering wheel and into the windshield. The windshield popped out intact, and he followed it out of the van. They tell me he didn't even get scratched.

Kinda like this guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDrnR2bWk4
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Some of these posts remind me of a change in the laws of NY!

The state & DOT want to change the law where "if you're 16 or older and in the back seat, you are not required to wear a seatbelt".

Well there are lots of people who are complaining because now they want to change it back to where anyone in the back seat is required to wear the seatbelt!

My argument for the change is that in the event of an accident, unrestrained riders in the back seat become projectiles and will most likely KILL whoever is in the front seat.

Some laws and changes really DO make sense!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SlowJoeCrow

I'll bet that was a Survey rig based on the brush hook and the paperwork/plans in the back.  I am a Professional Surveyor and I know a lot of companies are using Tahoes, Expeditions and the like for Survey rigs.  This is the biggest problem with using vehicles like this - in the event of a crash, there isn't much to protect the crew inside from all the tools and equipment in the back.  Trucks are much safer.

red

A guy I worked with in Wilkes Barre PA  refused to wear a seat belt . He died in a head on accident . All of his injuries came from hitting the steering wheel. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Kbeitz

I walked away from this because I had a seat belt on...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 02, 2017, 06:14:12 AM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on May 01, 2017, 06:52:13 PM

Kinda like this guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDrnR2bWk4

Yikes! Lucky guy. But he'll have a lot of explaining to do to his boss...  It looks like he was in the process of taking his jacket off right when that happened.

BTW, that sort of demonstrates why the Russians always do so well in gymnastics. He really stuck the landing!  :D

Thank You Sponsors!