iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kwasie, Pulled the trigger

Started by kwasie, September 02, 2017, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwasie

Hello everybody just pulled the trigger on my first sawmill.
Went for the cooks mp32, looking forward to get started, a little anxious but have to wait 3 months for delivery.
Very long lead time they must be busy. If anybody has any suggestions I am all ears, not a production mill but after all of the reading and video watching,
I thought this is where I should start seems like they are well built and priced right for me.
Really excited, but if any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks again wish me well.

barbender

Congratulations! That 3 month wait would about kill me!
Too many irons in the fire

Darrel

Welcome kwasie, and I also would like to congratulate you on your trigger pulling experience!  This is going to be one of the longest 3 months of your life!  As for advice, keep reading here on the forum and keep watching sawing videos. You'll learn a whole lot.  Some of it you won't understand until one day while you're sawing and the light will go on and you'll say to yourself, "So that's what they were talking about!"

And by the way, where's home for you?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

kwasie

I am sorry but I am in New York the Hudson Valley area.
Thanks a lot for the encouragement and the tips I AM READY!

47sawdust

That is a real nice sawmill.Not many up here in the Northeast.Do you have to pick it up at the plant?
Welcome to the forum and the the time will pass quicker than you think.What are the specs. on your new mill?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Get yourself a Logrite peavey or candog. The website on the left side of this page will tell you the difference.
What's all the lumber going to be used for?
If you're going to be drying lumber,get a good foundation ready.Need it level.
Are you stationery? Sawing for others at thier place?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

kwasie, adding your location and sawmill to your profile will help us to remember, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

kwasie,

Congratulations and welcome. My suggestion is between now and the time your mill gets here go back and read everything you can here on the forum about milling. Take a gander at the health and safety threads to so maybe you won't make the same mistakes some of us already did and posted to help others keep from doing the same thing. Get yourself a good Logrite cant or peavy hook. Tell them you are a FF member when you order.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Kwasie:
If you can attend you might want to consider going to the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge, Ohio on 10/6, 7, & 8 / 2017.
Who knows Cooks might be there with an MP32.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Crossroads

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like the fish is nibbling, but the hook won't  be set for 3 months when you get to pull your first board off your new mill. ;)
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

kelLOGg

I've had my MP32 for 16 years and it's still going strong. Congrats and welcome.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kwasie

Sorry gentleman kids getting ready for college! That is why I am so long between posts, but to answer some of the questions shot back at me, I will more than likely start sawing for some personal projects I want to start, want to start on a garage using timber framing mortise and tenon, also have a few friends that like to make live edge table tops, chess boards and domino sets. Also eventually would like to saw for some of the farmers up here when they want lumber from there property for there projects. The mill will cut a 32 inch dia. log 16 ft. long, I am debating on getting the mill to cut 21ft. long logs at extra cost, also adding the extra length would put the mill at 28ft. with the tongue behind the truck, and it comes with a 26.5 horse power kohler engine.

I am so great full for all the feedback from the good folk on this forum there is a wealth of knowledge out there and that is a beautiful think.
respectfully,
Kwasie

fat olde elf

Kellog and I bought MP-32s at the same time.  He has modified his mill and I am still stock. Both of us are very pleased with the mills and the fine service we get from Cooks. We both also have Cat claws sharpeners
I am interested in the larger engine you are getting although I have no complaints about the 16 hp kohler I
have. Good luck and the 3 months wait will fly by.Tell us where you are and your other equipment.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

plowboyswr

The only thing I can add is order extra blades. Have fun. :)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

47sawdust

I have an LT30 which has a 16' bed.While that works for me a lot of times I wish it was longer.The shorter bed makes it easy to work around and easier to maneuver in tight spots. Their are obvious advantages to both.Now would be the time to do it.As stated here in the past the longer bed makes it easier to position,say a 16 log,on the bed.
I would also go for power feed and power head lift.It's so easy to spend other people's money. ;D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!