iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transporting a Mill

Started by LrryFrrw, September 16, 2012, 06:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LrryFrrw

I heard that Magicman, so you are thinking the same as me, hyraulics is the way to go - right?

Magicman

I can only speak for myself, but as my sawing business has developed, strong hydraulics is not an option. 

Admittedly, I did not know that when I bought the sawmill.  I did not know that or anything else for that matter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Too bad you're not trying to cross our southern border.........that sucker is wide open........ :-\

thecfarm

Just found this thread. Are you thinking about buying a new mill from WM or from TimberKing? Really don't matter which one,but I would think they have sold mills to our Canada neighbors before and know the so called paper work. But still may want to check to may sure nothing has changed. I know all insurance is not the same,but when I was towing my tractor,the tractor was insured. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LorenB

Larry,

First, regarding towing the WoodMizer, remember that it got out to the East Coast from Indiana somehow, probably behind someone's pickup truck. 

In spite of Marty's suggestion, I would inspect and repack the wheel bearings.  You should also plan on replacing both tires, but if you want to test your luck you could just bring two mounted spares with you.  That, of course, would require two additional wheels.  I'd just get new tires.  Tires on trailers fail because they do not get used enough to keep the rubber in good shape.  Do you want to bet your new sawmill against the price of two new tires?  Do you think it's more likely that the tires will fail as you are driving past a Goodyear store or as you are crossing a two-lane bridge in some rural area? 

I would think that getting the sawmill through Canadian customs would be the biggest issue.  I would also think that you should be able to research that easily as a Canadian citizen. 

The vehicle licensing in the US could be a hassle for you.  Here in Indiana (a farm-friendly state), sawmills are in the same category as other farm equipment.  I don't have to license my sawmill to tow it on Indiana's roads.  My son-in-law, the deputy sheriff, tells me that he's pretty sure that states honor each others' licensing laws.  Of course, that may apply only to non-commercial equipment.  Commercial equipment, like a sawmill, may have to be licensed in every state you traverse on your way to the border. 

It may be simpler, if not cheaper, to bring a Canadian registered flatbed trailer down here, load the sawmill onto it, and tow the thing home on your legally registered Canadian vehicle. 

Never underestimate the trouble that government bureaucrats can create for an honest citizen. 

Good luck with it all,

– Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Thank You Sponsors!