iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bore bee's

Started by tjhammer, October 15, 2012, 07:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Delta Dust is a commercial name for Deltamethrin which belongs to the chemical class of pyrethroids, naturally occurring insecticidal compounds that are synthesized from chrysanthemum flowers.  Deltamethrin is a staple of commercial pesticide professionals, is not soluble in water and so is highly stable in an protected physical environment.  It is sold as a dry powder for dusting, and also as a wettable powder which can be sprayed for broader coverage.  It's available through the internet, and depending on the application technique is commonly used per label to protect building interiors. Delta Dust is classified as a non-restricted use pesticide by the EPA.  Its also considered kitchen safe and authorized for use in federally inspected meat and poultry plants for crack and crevice applications.
I have a restricted use pesticide license and as with all pesticides it needs to be used with care and responsibly, and since I use it for the interior of my outbuildings and rafters, it doesn't get washed off, doesn't cause secondary contamination, and will only kill the insects in areas where I target them.

Here's a publication from LSU AgCenter, which lists Deltamethrin as a recommend pesticide for carpenter bees and also for powder post beetles, for which I also use it in spray form when I'm treating my sawn lumber.
And no, I don't own stock in the stuff,  ;D just have a lot of experience with it and have concluded it is a very useful tool in my operation.
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/2125FCAE-95A5-483A-8EF2-96DB96911E1B/84862/11HouseholdInsectsforHomeowners2012.pdf

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tyb525

Brake cleaner in a can is good for immediate kills, has a longer range than most wasp sprays.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Charles135

Them darn Carpenter bees get into my oak down here in upstate SC.  I spray used hydraulic oil to treat my oak and pine structures and they don't seem to like it very much!  I have to spray the stcruture about once every three years to keep them out!  It makes a pretty greyish red color wood. 
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

hackberry jake

Never herd of em eating oak! Thems some tough bees!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I had an aunt that had some red cedar cut 30 years ago and stickered stacked in the second floor of an old barn.  I ended up with the wood.  About 60% of it was totally riddled with carpenter bee tunnels.  It was a carpenter bee Convention Center.  There are not many critters that can do that to eastern red cedar.  They are tough, indeed.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trailman

i visited a college in new york that had a castle. it had a little pile of saw dust under the enterance doors. i thought it must be bees in there doing some remodeling.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Did you know that the male carpenter bee does not sting?  The female can sting, but does so rarely.  How can you tell them apart from bumblebees?  Bumble bees have a yellow belly, for one thing.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/30498/carpenter-bee-bumble-bee_copy%7E0.jpg
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

LorenB

Along with TJ, I'd like to know if paint will keep carpenter bees from chewing into wood.  I painted the exposed lumber on my kiln building for just that purpose.  I'd sure hate to learn that I wasted my time and money.  It was exterior latex paint, if that matters. 

Anyone know? 

Thanks,
-- Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Thank You Sponsors!