iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a used Saw-what to look for

Started by quadracutter222, July 31, 2018, 03:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadracutter222

Hello and good day!  New to the forum, looks like lots of great info!

I am looking at picking up a used bigger saw (066/395 or bigger) and wanted to ask the group what the top things to look at are, when buying a used saw.

So far after reading here and google I have came up with:
- compression.  Check with a gauge or at least make sure the pull is "ignorant" (not as if the compression valve was open)
- check cylinder through exhaust port and plug hole 
- start saw and idle with saw in different positions (if idle changes when its sideways perhaps an air leak?)
- take clutch cover off and see if there is play in bearings
- general wear and tear

Any other big ticket items to look for?

Thanks!  

Maine372

I like to look at the airbox and see how clean it is around the air filter, and inside the air filter. if its clean you know someone took care of the saw, if not you know its probably been rode hard and put up wet.

also, at the cost of bars and chains for a saw that size a fresh b&c can be a negotiation point.

HolmenTree

Quote from: quadracutter222 on July 31, 2018, 03:03:39 PM
Hello and good day!  New to the forum, looks like lots of great info!

I am looking at picking up a used bigger saw (066/395 or bigger) and wanted to ask the group what the top things to look at are, when buying a used saw.

So far after reading here and google I have came up with:
- compression.  Check with a gauge or at least make sure the pull is "ignorant" (not as if the compression valve was open)
- check cylinder through exhaust port and plug hole
- start saw and idle with saw in different positions (if idle changes when its sideways perhaps an air leak?)
- take clutch cover off and see if there is play in bearings
- general wear and tear

Any other big ticket items to look for?

Thanks!  
You pretty well have it all covered.
Find a rebuilt 066 with OEM parts. Some of the early flat top cover 066 Mags were pushing as high as 7.8 h.p. factory at only 16 lbs powerhead weight.
The last 2 years of the flat tops (1996 - 97) got decomp valves and heavier main bearings but still pushing 7.2 h.p. without the Mag dual outlet muffler.
Newer Husqvarna 395XP are rated at 6.97 h.p. and a whooping 17.4 lbs with lots of extra bulk. Plus old fashioned front access chain adjuster. 

I recently sold my 2008 395XP I bought new in 2010 and rebuilt my 1991 066 Mag I bought new in 1992.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

The Husqvarna 394/395XP design and 066 were introduced at about the same year in 1991-92.

quadracutter222

Thanks guys. The one I'm looking at is a dual port exhaust non comp valve. Looks like it's an ex faller saw, so will defiantly need a good look.

HolmenTree

Ex logger saws usually means worn out PTO bearing.
Make sure to pull the sprocket cover, e clip, rim, drum and bearing.
With saw on work bench lean on the saw and wiggle end of crankshaft  up and down to see if it has any play.
Old pre decomp 066 is a good find especially with a dual outlet muffler.

quadracutter222

Thanks HolmenTree!  That is what I thought, a good saw as long as its not rattled to death.  The pull on it was certainly stout.  Should mention it will be for milling fir <24", so want to make sure shes good to go.  Also parts and service support still current is important.  Lots of 2100 types that go by online, but support seems iffy.

So sounds like I need to bring:
- bar wrench
- pliers
- torx kit?

Thank You Sponsors!