iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did I Damage My Bar?

Started by lxskllr, December 18, 2018, 06:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

My Stihl Dealer recommended that I borrow my neighbors chainsaw for projects like this.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

That will only happen once. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Air Lad

Quote from: lxskllr on December 18, 2018, 06:57:39 PM
I had one last task for my Poulan Pro, but it fell flat. I have an ~20" limb that's half planted in the ground, so I need to buck a bunch of dirt too. Don't tell anyone, but Poulan Pro may have had some flight training after it quit, and wouldn't start  :^P  :^D

After that quit, I pulled out my 362cm. It had a chain that was pretty much done, so I thought I could get through it with that. Not much luck. Lots of sparks from the kerf, and a couple half-assed sharpening attempts later, I have ~2 cuts left. The old chain started off correctly tensioned, but was hanging at least .5" off the bar when I was done, and the second attempt at filing found the tooth remains hardened. The clutch cover was packed with burnt oily dust. The bar's missing more paint, but doesn't seem /too/ bad. The nose sprocket might be a little more gritty, but probably ok.

Did I do any damage I can't see? Too late now, but I'm a little sorry I used my good saw for that task. To finish up, I'll put my poulan bar on my echo. I have two spent chains I think I'll be able to finish with. Hopefully...
They don't like it
Sometimes it seems like the way to go but unless the equipment is sacrificial another way needs to be found

DudeWithTrees

Quote from: lxskllr on January 06, 2019, 04:21:26 PM
Got the wood out...

If I tried rocking it back, it wouldn't really cut.

Sounds like you just needed to dress the bar when you started.  File down the lip on the edge of the bar where your chain rides.  Then make sure your groove is even.  A bar dresser makes bars last till the sprocket falls out.
I only eat the finest organic non-GMO sour cream on my lead paint chips.

doc henderson

Stihl makes a flat tool kinda screw driver (standard) on one end, and a hook on the other, helps to clean out your bar, and I blow the tip sprocket till it wines like a jet engine.  file flat then remove the side bur, then if it still does'nt work, then maybe you ruined your bar.  good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Air Lad

Quote from: doc henderson on January 29, 2019, 09:02:39 PM
Stihl makes a flat tool kinda screw driver (standard) on one end, and a hook on the other, helps to clean out your bar, and I blow the tip sprocket till it wines like a jet engine.  file flat then remove the side bur, then if it still does'nt work, then maybe you ruined your bar.  good luck.
Yep.. That jet engine sound should indicate that it is spinning free
Therefore it should be up to another grounding
BTW this will kill the equipment in time
I do get that sometimes this is needed to get a job done
Cause and effect
Cheers

Thank You Sponsors!