iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco 445

Started by TimberJoe, January 12, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

If its half way decent your looking at a good machine. I've got a set of books that cover 90% of that machine and the head, would gladly make you copies. Theres little quirks to the head, couple parts you want to keep on hand but all and all they are a good machine, I've laid down a mountain of wood with mine in a short time. 

TimberJoe

That would be great, I'll let you know if I end up getting it. You said the head looked to be a 33". If it is will it cut a 33" tree?

BargeMonkey

Bar is supposed to have 33", if you can walk around the tree you can cut 4'+. After 30" or so you risk splitting stuff, cutting in 1 pass can be a pain and getting your bar out in time is fun. 26" wood all day long, that's cut, pick and throw. 

TimberJoe

Ok cool, the only sales I can get here are no larger than 24 inch at breast hight. I'm logging all Forrest service ground

BargeMonkey

I havent seen much that's 24"dbh I couldn't throw, sometimes you will cut and push the real big stuff. 

Give you a rough idea of what they will cut 😂 

TimberJoe

Cool picture, id love to have a buncher. How do you limb? Limbing is my biggest time consuming portion of the days. 

Riwaka

Depends on what your trees are like for delimbing  - whether some basic like a 'stripper delimber' would work.

Are you looking for year round work. Excavator (if the terrain is not too steep and add longer grouser bars etc) with a felling head/ grapple and then convert back to a bucket for a dirt season. Get a more modern excavator with a closer dealer for parts support?

Timbco 415 and processor (up to 24 inch)
Timberheads Kodiak TH24D dangle on Timbco 415 - YouTube

Komatsu  and directional felling head  (valmet etc - timbco derivative boom/ arm etc)
FL85 forest and Jungle - YouTube

tacks Y

Timberjoe, There is a 445 on auctiontime.com now with 14 hrs left and is at 26k+. This has a lot of pics to compare with. 

Skeans1

Quote from: Riwaka on January 15, 2019, 04:23:32 PM
Depends on what your trees are like for delimbing  - whether some basic like a 'stripper delimber' would work.

Are you looking for year round work. Excavator (if the terrain is not too steep and add longer grouser bars etc) with a felling head/ grapple and then convert back to a bucket for a dirt season. Get a more modern excavator with a closer dealer for parts support?

Timbco 415 and processor (up to 24 inch)
Timberheads Kodiak TH24D dangle on Timbco 415 - YouTube

Komatsu  and directional felling head  (valmet etc - timbco derivative boom/ arm etc)
FL85 forest and Jungle - YouTube
The best thing about a Timbco is all the parts are off the shelf and source able. Track frames are cat, pump is rexroth or Linde, valve same thing, engine is Cummins or Deere all easy to get parts with a simple phone call.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: TimberJoe on January 15, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
Cool picture, id love to have a buncher. How do you limb? Limbing is my biggest time consuming portion of the days.
Your cutting mostly softwood ? If you take your time you can knock ALOT of the limbs off with the head, cut the top out. I'm running a stroker, it's old but it eats softwood. Do you have any other iron ? something you could feed a pull they with? A "stripper" works good, non hydraulic delimber, you can find a low hr used one around if you watch, mostly a northeast thing I've seen that model for sale. 

quilbilly

You could pick up a danzco delimber or if you want more production a 314 ctr scd. I've used both and was able to get loads out with just a couple guys. A ctr 314 will run around 15k and a used danzco 5-10. The danzco sips fuel.
a man is strongest on his knees

mike_belben

If you got a skidder that aint too pretty, cut a sunrise out of the blade and weld in a piece of bowed and sharpened 3/8 flatstock, about parallel to the ground, to make a knife.  Add in some triangle gussets and it should look kinda like a curved locomotive track sweeper.  Just drive that over your logs to delimb and touch up by hand if needed. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: TimberJoe on January 15, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
At around 1:30 they use a limbing blade on this Deere swinging grapple skidder hope it helps.
Hansen Logging - YouTube

tacks Y

Timber Joe, Did you buy the machine?

mike_belben

That root rake is a good idea too.  Just make sure all your belly pans are in place and hoses are tucked in.
Praise The Lord

TimberJoe

Hey guys I didn't see your replies until now. I haven't purchased it yet. I have a 450c timberjack skidder. I have been thinking about a danzco. It looks to be pretty efficient. I will know what happens by the end of the week and I will update you on the machine. Yes I'm only cutting pine and Doug fir.

Thank You Sponsors!