iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8x8 timbers milled to 4/4, how long to air dry?

Started by Sedgehammer, February 17, 2019, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

These timbers were cut 2 to 3 years old. Were bolted together and used for crane pads. Can buy a 16' for $65. Mixed hardwoods of red oak, white oak, post oak, hickory & gum. If milled to 4/4, how long to air dry where we could finish process it fir flooring ya think?

Note, we're making rustic flooring. Might be nailing/screwing it down so fasteners show, but counter sunk.

Also what's the going rate to mill these to 4/4?

Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

Magicman

You had better have a source for blades because the dirt and grit that has migrated into the cants is gonna be a challenge.  :-\ 

Generally the logs used for crane mats are low quality and not much larger than the cants so you will be dealing with "logs" that would not normally be sawn into flooring.  Many if not all of them will have wane on the top end, again indicating that smallish logs were used.

Your price of $65, per log or per mat? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

As far as going rate, if you asked me to do that job it would be at my normal BF sawing rate and purchase of new bands for every band used, those are guaranteed to be full of dirt, stones, metal, etc.

Air drying alone is not really an adequate method of prepping for flooring. You will likely get to 11% MC at best and will experience shrinking, twisting, and checking in the floor throughout the seasons. If this is a hunting camp in the woods, probably fine, but for any kind of actual living space you won't be happy with the results in time.  You also run a very high risk of introducing insects into your structure if you only air dry the lumber and don't sanitize it.

You would be money and quality ahead to find a mill that will sell you some random length 4/4 #3 common grade and then dry and finish it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Just spoke to a mill here locally. He said what you both are saying. We've nixed this idea. Thank you very much guys!

So that begs the question what's the  going rate for mixed 4/4 #3 wide boards random lengthens?

Also, if one kiln dries it down to 7-8%, won't it pick ambient moisture back up to 11%?

Thanks again!

Brad_bb

Yeah I wouldn't want to saw crane matt cants because of the dirt/sand/gravel.  You'll be going through bands too quickly versus the output.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

The flooring will equilibrate to the humidity in your house.  If your house is climate controlled, the wood will most likely not go back to 11% but stay below 9%-10% moisture content.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Location and species will impact prices, couple other things to ponder too, wide is a relative term, comes into the grading realm, and does not always make for the best flooring, especially at lower grades.  That having been said 4/4, #3 common, random width, random length red oak here right now would be in the $0.80 / BF range if bought in volume of 1000 or so BF.  You are going to have a higher waste factor at that grade due to defects so need to figure that into the final cost. White oak is running considerably more.    
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 17, 2019, 06:29:55 PM
Yeah I wouldn't want to saw crane matt cants because of the dirt/sand/gravel.  You'll be going through bands too quickly versus the output.
Spoke to a local miller that bought some. Said it was heck on blades, but the big problem was the cants, as they are stressed back and fourth and the wood is unstable and goes everywhere when cut

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Southside logger on February 17, 2019, 07:53:04 PM
Location and species will impact prices, couple other things to ponder too, wide is a relative term, comes into the grading realm, and does not always make for the best flooring, especially at lower grades.  That having been said 4/4, #3 common, random width, random length red oak here right now would be in the $0.80 / BF range if bought in volume of 1000 or so BF.  You are going to have a higher waste factor at that grade due to defects so need to figure that into the final cost. White oak is running considerably more.    
Yup
6" or greater is preferred. Defects are fine. Will possibly stress floor further once in. Might even use exposed nails or screws
Oak is good flooring, but boring  ;D Although red oak has more character, shows grain better I think
How much kiln dried and t&g'd?

Southside

Again - lot of variables there, but the hardwood I make goes generally in the $3.00 - $4.00 range depending on species, width, length, and grade. That's ready to lay down but unfinished.  May be different over your way.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Thanks!

What other species you have there available?

Dunno yet what's here

Southside

Anything that's native, oaks, hickory, beech, pine, cherry, honey locust, etc. If you are interested in something then I would be happy to discuss details via PM, but just putting it out here that since this is going in this direction, it goes without saying but, if we do business the Forum will receive 5% of my gross per the SOP here on the Forum. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Thank You Sponsors!