iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bug damage in EWP

Started by dirtymartini, August 25, 2019, 12:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

Is this too damaged by whatever bug got in there before I could saw it? I was going to use it for an 8x8 beam.

Mike W

if that's pretty much the bulk of the damage in your photo, i wouldn't worry about it personally.  albeit not knowing what your intention is for use beyond being a beam hard to make that call unequivocally.  suppose if you were really concerned, one could always epoxy the damage with a slow cure 2 part epoxy :-\ 

Don P

That drops it below any structural grade.

We've been talking about them in another thread;
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=107384.msg1674896#msg1674896

SawyerTed

For decorative purposes it might be ok.  Looks like some other deterioration/softness in the upper right area of your photo?  Usually insect damage like that goes along with other issues.

I'd be concerned about a heavy load or long span.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

The other concern is what else is growing up in the wood?  Maybe it would eat more, or maybe it would decide to come out and have a family reunion / feast on the rest of your new building.  Kinda look like they may be bee holes.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I doubt bee holes. The link that Don P posted is my bet.
Now if I needed a 2x6 and that was a 2X10 I might use it. But I would not use it for a 2x6. Eastern white pine is not strong too begin with. But I plan on using some for building. Most of my hemlock is gone. It will be thick stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dirtymartini

Thanks for all the replies, I wasn't getting notifications.  I meant to take a pic of the worm today...fat white and about 1"long. Looks like some kind of larvae.

69bronco

Pine borer, once you remove the bark and saw they're done for. I wouldn't use the one pictured for anything structural.

moodnacreek

Fresh cut logs normally will not have these worm holes. When the pine lay around in spring or summer this [and blue stain] is what happens.

Thank You Sponsors!