iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fewer Eastern White Cedars and more Hardwood

Started by GangGreen, December 16, 2019, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GangGreen

Hi - I have a 45 acre forest and about 10 of those acres are totally over gown with white cedar.  I am currently working to cut and remove all the trees that are 3" and smaller (thousands of these) and then I want to start thinning the forest in earnest.  I want to encourage a mixed forest and would like to plant hardwood trees.  

My question is what hardwood trees will thrive the best in a white cedar forest?  I am in southern Ontario.

Thanks very much,

barbender

Here, the question is how to keep the cedar growing without the deer eating all of it.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Also, I think you need more details on your site as white cedar grows on a variety of sites and is associated with a variety of hardwoods, as well. The one constant would be very cold winters😊
Too many irons in the fire

curved-wood

In south Ontario you have a lot of choices of wood species. Your starting point is usually your types of soil ( rocky, clay , PH, etc.) and water level ( drainage, swampy, etc. ) . Depends on your budget but you could plant nut trees, Christmas trees. You will have more info from the member if you are more precise. Just curious what is the problem with cedar ? It has it's own value. If you want to get rid of the small one there is a market in used it in fences for city lots.

Thank You Sponsors!