iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hammer beam question

Started by cib, January 12, 2020, 12:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cib

Is there a design advantage for this style of hammer beam instead of the intersection at the top of the post. This almost looks like a queen post with the middle section cut out.

Brad_bb

I don't know if I've seen it done like this before.  The posts protruding above the tie like that and meeting the rafters in space?  The queen posts protruding above the collar?  Usually the collar is joined to the rafters, and the queens are joined to the rafters as well.   Just google images for hammer beam truss and you'll see that this is not a typical design.  

I'm not a big fan of hammer beam trusses because, although they are pretty, they usually require a steel tension rod across the tie to oppose the spreading forces.  People usually don't show it in renderings, but often need it.  The other way to combat the spreading forces is to set the truss on large foundation buttresses that will not allow movement, but that's not typical or very practical in modern building.  So the designs I'm working with tend to be king and queen post designs.  If you want to add flare to them, add in some live edge or crooked material, or work with crucks.

Additionally, for the king post rafter joint I like this type.  Just attracted to it.

pic is from Timberframe HQ
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!