iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln Conditions And Variables - Automated Approach

Started by Pepe_Silvia, February 19, 2020, 02:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

Since I have basically finished the construction of my solar kiln, I'm going to move on to automation and data collection.

The plan is to have the following measurements:

• Temperature Inside Kiln (2 locations)
  • Temperature Outside Kiln
  • Humidity Inside Kiln (2 locations)
  • Humidity Outside Kiln
  • Ambient Light Sensors Inside Kiln
  • Probes In Sample Wood To Measure Resistance/MC

There will also be a relay to control the two fans, which will be ~1400 CFM apiece gable mount fans.

After some perusal of the forum, I've found that there are two conditions I should be using to determine when the fans should be running.

Can someone quantify what 'too low' is in the context of humidity inside the kiln?  What should my trigger point be to turn the fans on?

Any other measurements I should be taking?
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Pepe_Silvia

Is there a reference where I could look it up and set it depending on what species I'm drying?  Or is that something I'm going to have to learn on my own?
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

tmrayner

Did you ever get anywhere with this idea?  I was contemplating the same thing but haven't built the kiln yet.  Was hoping to add solar panel to power fans and supply supplemental heat in the morning when there is light but temps are not high enough to run the fans. 

doc henderson

If it is too dry, you will get more degrade as the gradient from core to surface in greater.  many traditional kilns determine the RH by the wet bulb/dry bulb difference.  you can take those differences and convert to RH in the tables.  NHLA has several of Dr. Wengert's webinars.  He also wrote the book drying hardwood lumber (on line)  Most wet wood would need up around say 85% RH early on.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!