iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood rackmade

Started by trapper, September 01, 2020, 05:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Made another firewood rack

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

cutterboy

Nice simple design and looks sturdy. Should be easy to make. Very useful. I have been thinking about making a couple of racks to sell small amounts of wood from. A rack like this might be what I want.
Thanks trapper for posting those pictures.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

doc henderson

very sturdy and up off the ground.  what kind of fasteners did you use?  I may use the idea!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

trapper

4x4 holds 1/2 face cord  can pick it up with forks   screws   8 in 4x4 t0 6x6 base. 6in in 2x8 upright to base 5/16 x 4 on piece above 4x4  to keep uprights from spreading black walnut base rest ash  need to drill for and lube screws 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

mike_belben

Ive made quite a few of these over the years, nearly identical to yours.  I can say they last a lot longer when i put a piece of bailing twine or fence wire across two nails at the tops of the posts.   I can jam wood in without spreading them open.

Nice work.
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

It is a fact that nice racks help sales so thanks for sharing yours. Just put two together on lunch break for bundle sales by road. A lot of people have really junky setups and something like yours really stands out to me

Used 8" timber locks and 3.5" GRK RSS 

jmur1

Hi Trapper:
I put 2 facecord on and forklift them around to the road.

Or the old standby -boxes with removable planks.

jmur1

Easy does it

PoginyHill

Using some of the ideas on this thread, I built a prototype rack to fit a full 1/2 cord (8ft wide, 4ft tall, and I cut my firewood to 24"), hoping to eliminate some handling & piling. I burn 12+ cords, so I'd need 24 or more of these to handle everything. Plan is to cut/split and pile directly on the rack, then move the rack to dry. Next year I'd move the rack into the wood shed and re-pile for the heating season. A couple of things I'm looking for in the prototype: Can my tractor lift and move it without tipping? Can the rack handle being moved around without something failing? Can I build it leaving the top open (without something tying the verticals together at the top)? So far so good. May build a couple more before deciding this will work. Used 2X6 for the bottoms and 2X4 for the verticals (all full dimension) spruce/fir. 4x4s to secure the uprights. The 4x4 on the bottom is pressure treated. I painted all the end-grain with used motor oil.
My 70hp tractor lifting it ok, but the rear tires were a bit light (they are loaded, but no counterweight on the 3PHitch). Needed 4WD to move.

I think the GRK screws will cost more than getting the lumber cut.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

i made a few almost identical to that years ago except i used cheap barn nails from the co-op into predrilled holes. in a few years the screw or nail hold on the uprights will loosen up and theyll start to flare open.  some twine loops over the top when its half full will extend their life much longer by preventing any bow to tear the fastener out of the wood. just drive in some nails to tie the twine, positioned where you arent gonna get cut walking by the nail head between rows.
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Have to admit that the ones I posted earlier in the thread never made it to firewood duty. They ended up as a slab rack at the sawmill and it works very well. Still have not banged together a few more, but should.

PoginyHill

I assume things will loosen up over time. I'll re-tighten the screws next year and hopefully buy a bit more time.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

doc henderson

unless they need parts replaced, I like to glue and screw for more rigidity.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PoginyHill

Quote from: doc henderson on October 15, 2021, 03:17:29 PM
unless they need parts replaced, I like to glue and screw for mor rigidity.  
Good thought, @doc henderson . I've used Gorilla glue for outdoor wood repairs and it works great. I'll use that for the next one I build.

trapper

will Gorilla glue hold on green wood fresh off the mill?

barbender

I would think so, the moisture helps it cure
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

yes for dry wood they have you wet it.

Brad_S.

I wanted something that I could load right from the splitter that would be fairly protected from the weather. I have a catalytic stove and they suggest that the wood season for two years. Despite what it looks like in this picture, I usually store them face-to-face so the overhangs on the front touch each other. I have a dozen of these with enough material precut to build four more. I would like to build another dozen beyond that. One of the perks of owning a sawmill is having unlimited lumber!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!