iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 400

Started by ehp, January 01, 2021, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

never had the plug out as I can tell just by the sound of the motor on how its running , I make my saws cut and not just cut away as I find they will run rich, the 500i is I find I got to make it cut to even get it to clear up on the sound , they run pretty rich . Watch the color of your muffler , if its not turning a blue/purple color your not pushing or making the motor work hard enough. AS far as fuel goes per tank  my 400 cuts more trees to a equal amount of fuel compared to the 462 . I just got my second 400 today, it finally came in 

ehp

another thing , its hard to say how many trees per tank comparing 1 saw to another of a different model cause the tank size is different in volume , one thing that is for sure is the 400 does not use much bar oil and I mean very little , I wished my 400 used abit more bar oil 

BonScott46

Quote from: ehp on June 22, 2021, 11:57:38 AM
another thing , its hard to say how many trees per tank comparing 1 saw to another of a different model cause the tank size is different in volume , one thing that is for sure is the 400 does not use much bar oil and I mean very little , I wished my 400 used abit more bar oil
The tank to tank comparison of different size is exactly what I was getting at. If you can cut roughly the same amount of wood with a tank on each saw that would mean the 400 is significantly more fuel efficient because the tank is smaller (600vs.720ml). Pretty sure you can drop in a HO oiler control bolt from a 461 for better oil flow.
2511t

teakwood

Some swiss loggers told me that the 500i is a real fuel hog, they use the saw since 2-3years, so lots of experience.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skeans1

Quote from: teakwood on June 23, 2021, 08:07:30 AM
Some swiss loggers told me that the 500i is a real fuel hog, they use the saw since 2-3years, so lots of experience.
They do use some fuel but really it's right on par with most saws of that size like a 390 husky.

ehp

I didn't find the 500i hard on fuel at all.  But what I did find is I had to make the saw cut to make it use the power it has .  

barbender

A torque machine?
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

Its ok on torque . Not as much as the 462 . Compression is not high on the 400 either so not great if you want torque . I have not touched the 400 I been falling with but maybe just maybe this other 400 might go under the knife . I wanted to see how the piston wears on the first 400 sense it's magnesium but so far its the same as the others 

ehp

500i is a light weight torque machine 

BonScott46

Anybody port one of these yet or know someone who has?
2511t

ehp

I'm sure lots have . I got the new 400 on the table to get surgery .  I want abit more torque with the rpms 

BonScott46

2511t

ehp

ehp

was at the dealer yesterday and they said the new MS400i is coming out and being tested in the USA, I have not seen a i model or heard anything about it but maybe guys in the USA have

Tacotodd

I'd be interested in hearing how it is received by the end users. I'd also be interested to hear what those famous saw shops think about them, because it's intriguing to me, and has been since I first heard about them. All ears ya know.
Trying harder everyday.

Woodfarmer

ehp

The 2 main things I want changed on the 400 is first the trigger for the choke/start mode . My 400 does not like to hold close . The  MS 462 is alot better and feels good when you put it on . Next is I would like to see say 20% more bar oil from the oil pump . The 400 is a very very nice saw to use . Very easy on the shoulders and makes descent power . I have cut lots of 3 or 4 ft on the stump with mine and it's cut alot of timber now and got quite a few hours on it

teakwood

Quote from: ehp on August 27, 2021, 07:30:52 AMsaid the new MS400i is coming out and being tested in the USA
@ehp

i don't understand, what new 400i? is there a newer model coming out? you already have the 400i in use, right?

ehp

I have ms 400C , this 400i model is to be like the 500i and be injected into the crankcase . Like I said I have never seen this i model or if its even true but the dealer said its out in test form in the USA

teakwood

ah, i thought that the 400 came out as a i and you already used them for some time. didn't know there is a C version

ehp

Mine has 400c on the rewind cover . Your in a different country so who knows what you have lol  I have seen saws in the USA come with carbs like the 261 and others where we are mtronic only here

teakwood

We have squat here, dealer can't even bring a 500, 462, 400, ...in ::). I would love to buy a 500i, thinking of bringing one down from the US.

the newest models we get is, 260, 361 (which is a awesome saw, i have 2), 382 heavy turd from Brazil, 651 ( ::)never heard of this one), 660, 661, 780 ???  ???, 880. no Rollomatic or light bars, limited chains, no chainsawpants or other important ppe , it's like living in the 1970s

B.C.C. Lapp

Did something totally out of character for me today.
   I run 362's.  I have three of them.  I went to 362's about 20 months ago because of a shoulder injury and thought a  lighter saw would be  easier on it.   But I've been thinking of going back to a 462 because when I want to run a 24 inch bar the 362 just doesn't quite have the power I want. 

So I was at the saw shop today and as usual they had next to no logging saws but they did have a new 462 and, a 400.   What the heck is a 400?   So I looked it over, liked the balance.  Looked at the spec's, liked that to, splits the difference between the 462 and 362 and the next thing I know I bought it.  
What the heck was I thinking?  
The guy at the shop, Ive known him for years told me they have sold 8 or ten of them and so far none came back and what they have heard has been good.
So we'll see.  Taking it to the woods tomorrow.   Hope I don't regret my first impulse buy in many years.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

ehp

I like my 400's alot more than the 362's I had 

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: ehp on September 22, 2021, 06:45:01 PM
I like my 400's alot more than the 362's I had
Only been one day but, me to so far.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Thank You Sponsors!