iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 400

Started by ehp, January 01, 2021, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: ehp on August 27, 2021, 03:52:43 PM
Next is I would like to see say 20% more bar oil from the oil pump . The 400 is a very very nice saw to use . Very easy on the shoulders and makes descent power . I have cut lots of 3 or 4 ft on the stump with mine and it's cut alot of timber now and got quite a few hours on it
I agree with you on the oil pump. It ain't putting out enough.  Other than that though, after only one week running it in the woods, I got no complaints.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

ehp

its fine if running a 20 inch bar on oil but I find a 24 inch bar does not get enough when cutting stuff like white oak , The husky 562 has the same problem . But I fell with the 462 yesterday and I sure can tell you the 462 uses quite abit more fuel compared to the 400 

barbender

Have any of you ever tried modding an oil pump for more output?
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

I will once I get a second to pretty much breath , she is pretty much 7 days a week here and if its daylight enough I can see I'm cutting and piling in the dark

ehp

one thing on the 462's both Pete and I have found and that is after say 3 or 4 months of running the ball that attaches to the gas cap comes out of its holder in the gas tank, not just may be one or 2 of the saws but everyone has done it and I think that on 10 of the 462's between us 

johnsayen

ehp

I have a 261 and just recently a 500i which I have put a couple tanks through with a 20" Stihl light bar on the 500. I don't think I'll be reaching for the 261 very much anymore for firewood. I do admit that the 500 gets heavy as I am not a big guy but it sure cuts the wood like butter. My question is do you think the 400 will be able to run hard and fast with the 20 light like the 500? Would I be able to lean into it without bogging it, or should I save my money and keep running the 500? I must have a disorder because I love my two saws and can't stop thinking about the 400. 

ehp

The 400 will not cut with the 500 but using a 20 inch bar setup the 400 is not a long ways behind and the 400 is alot easier on your hands and shoulders , the 400 is alot like your 261 just with quite abit more power . The 400 is one of if not the nicest saw out there to run, good power and super light and real nice on your body  

johnsayen

Ehp you convinced me. Now I need to decide what bar to run on her. Move the 20" light from the 500 to the 400 and let the 500 wear the 25 light? Or rub a 20 standard on the 400? Seems silly to run a standard when I have a light. Maybe get a second 20 light for the 400. 

ehp

20 inch light weight bar and put it to work  on the 400

ehp

first thing your going to see is the 400 cuts alot more trees per gallon of fuel compared to the 500i

chep

Dealer has a 400 set aside for me. I have been cutting pine with my ever trustted 461s but look forward to running it! Thanks for the inspiration Ed! Any tips?

Tacotodd

Keep the chain sharp! From what I hear, they don't like a dull chain AT ALL. Keep in mind, I've never run one, so that's 2nd hand information to ME.
Trying harder everyday.

barbender

Well I'm sure that advice will hold true- I haven't had a saw yet that likes a dull chain😊 Even the big Husky 390 slows right down from just touching the dirt, which I seem particularly gifted at😁
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

Run it like you stole it . Make the motor work 
  The 400 is a very good saw and make sure you turn the bar oil pump to wide open which still uses very little bar oil

chep

So I went to my dealer and held the 400. To be honest and I feel a bit foolish I thought it was a 400i. It is not. I did not buy it.  after running the 500i I am sold on the tech. I thought the 400 was the 500i  little bro. I dont know where it got in my head that there is a 400i. Dont think it even exists. Confused my dealer haha. Im on the list for a 500i. 
Ive been running ms 461 for my whole career. Ready for a change.  Really had my heart set on the imaginary 400i...  stupid_smiley stupid_smiley dancing-jack

Tacotodd

@chep was it mtronic or...?
Trying harder everyday.

chep

Yes 400 m tronic. Just wishing for big power in smaller weight. But i may try the 400 after all we shall see. I know ehp cuts big hardwood all day. Im not always in wood like his. But I do cut most of the oversize for a mechanical crew and would say i cut big timber for our area. Central VT.  The 461s have just done me so well i am scared to stray. 

ehp

you can still buy 461's new here at the dealers , the 400 is not going to have the same power as a 461 but is alot lighter and far nicer to cut with, the 462 is alot closer to the 461 in power 

ehp

Like I said before , for me I run a 20 inch bar setup on the 400 . If I got to use a 24 inch setup or bigger I go to a bigger saw

Dave12

I've been running my MS400 with 20" light bar for a couple of weeks now and it hasn't had me missing my MS462, it has become my back up saw.  I fall and buck dead ash for firewood anywhere from 8 to 20 inches (occasionally a little bigger or smaller).  It almost seems to have a second gear when you get about half way through the bigger stuff.  Once the heavy load is off it revs right up and finishes strong.
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

johnsayen

I'm excited to fire up my 400 and get it into wood 

ehp

I have been running my 400 the last 4 or 5 days falling timber . I'm cutting about 75% pine right now but the hardwood is mostly 25 to about 40 inch diameter and I do fine with the 400 but if I'm cutting mainly hardwood I will take the 500i , right now I donot even carry a 462 in the truck they are all sitting at home where its nice a warm and dry , right now I got 1 400 and 3  500i in the truck for work

Woodfarmer

Quote from: chep on November 19, 2021, 05:14:01 PM
So I went to my dealer and held the 400. To be honest and I feel a bit foolish I thought it was a 400i. It is not. I did not buy it.  after running the 500i I am sold on the tech. I thought the 400 was the 500i  little bro. I dont know where it got in my head that there is a 400i. Dont think it even exists. Confused my dealer haha. Im on the list for a 500i.
Ive been running ms 461 for my whole career. Ready for a change.  Really had my heart set on the imaginary 400i...  stupid_smiley stupid_smiley dancing-jack
Hey Chep, I'm waiting for the 400i as well. Until then it's, 500i on the big stuff and 2152/59/65&71 from there on down.

ehp

I see alot of dealers here now have a single 500i in stock but no light weight bars that are to be sold with the saw and no one has any ms 400 in stock here 

Whiplash1

Quote from: johnsayen on October 30, 2021, 04:03:38 PM
Ehp you convinced me. Now I need to decide what bar to run on her. Move the 20" light from the 500 to the 400 and let the 500 wear the 25 light? Or rub a 20 standard on the 400? Seems silly to run a standard when I have a light. Maybe get a second 20 light for the 400.
Put the 20" on the 400 and get a cannon 28" duralite on the 500! Man would that be a sexy setup! 

Thank You Sponsors!